Is the surface pro 4 for me?

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I would guess you do not work for a business that is Windows-based. If you did, then the integration of using the same personal platforms at home as well as the office would be the right move, without a doubt.

I don't. I understand how that is useful but for me it's just about value and what makes it the easiest for me for college.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Honestly the only thing that sets apart the SP4 and other laptops is the portability, screen res, and pen+ OneNote integration.

I'm in college too, starting second semester soon, and let me tell you the Surface is a godsend when taking notes. It's easier to take notes with the pen (can erase quickly and draw diagrams fast), and easier to organize your notes.

Also, you can record lectures in case a professor doesn't want to use textbooks.

The SP4 might fit the bill for you, but since you don't do intensive stuff, the SP3 might be the cheaper option. The fan should rarely kick in as usage is minimal.

On another note, can you recommend any good macroeconomics textbooks?

Edit: Happy New Years everyone!

The funny part is I just passed my macroeconomics class with an A- lol. The college I go to had their special book which took only a small part of it so I wouldn't know :(. Even than I never really opened it up lol. The sp3 probably is a better fit for me but the cheapest option the i3 model doesn't even come with the pen and the models after the $599 i3 model is similarly priced to the sp4 I I am better off getting the sp4 anyways.

Actually probably going to sell my iPad Air 2 so this way I can make it easier on my wallet so probably end up getting the i5 model so this way I could play some games on it.

I can get the i5 model at Bestbuy for $899 which is why I'm considering it.

sjaduae

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Eh Apple devices aren't that bad specially if you've used them before. For me I basically only need Microsoft Office so a Macbook would work in theory. Still am considering it because the 11 inch and 13 inch air is still cheaper if you include the type cover. Granted I am leaning towards the surface because it is windows.
I also have an iPad for now and an iPhone and the integration is a factor why I am considering a Macbook Air.

There's no reason not to use Windows on and Mac, bootcamp works very well I have owned many MBA's and have exclusively run windows on them ie I like the hardware but not the OS

I have been using the rMB 12" for some months now and it's a very fine laptop and if you are in the US you should be able to find a rMB (open box or discounted etc) much closer to your price point.

Once you get over the initial learning curve of the KB the screen is just soo much nicer than the MBA's and as you already have tablet consumption devices unless you really want to go without them via the SP4's you could not go wrong with the Mackbook IMO for portability and day to day use

Equally the SP4 would cover most of your consumption needs and laptop requirements plus other functionality ie pen in one device, after all synching with you IPhone is not an issue with windows

An added benefit of windows on an Apple device is separate font and windows scaling many complain that the OSX on the 12" retina is too small but when running windows you can adjust the system fonts etc without changing resolution which compromises your workspace more

Last edited:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The funny part is I just passed my macroeconomics class with an A- lol. The college I go to had their special book which took only a small part of it so I wouldn't know :(. Even than I never really opened it up lol. The sp3 probably is a better fit for me but the cheapest option the i3 model doesn't even come with the pen and the models after the $599 i3 model is similarly priced to the sp4 I I am better off getting the sp4 anyways.

Actually probably going to sell my iPad Air 2 so this way I can make it easier on my wallet so probably end up getting the i5 model so this way I could play some games on it.

I can get the i5 model at Bestbuy for $899 which is why I'm considering it.

Huh that sucks. I hated professors who don't use textbooks, got a C because of no textbooks :(

Now if the SP3 i3 is not good enough and the i5 is the same as the m3, I would honestly choose the SP4 m3 then. It has Windows Hello, better Microsoft support and you don't lose out much. The m3's like an i4 on SP3 terms, but you also get the benefit of a newer machine.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Huh that sucks. I hated professors who don't use textbooks, got a C because of no textbooks :(

Now if the SP3 i3 is not good enough and the i5 is the same as the m3, I would honestly choose the SP4 m3 then. It has Windows Hello, better Microsoft support and you don't lose out much. The m3's like an i4 on SP3 terms, but you also get the benefit of a newer machine.

Actually we were supposed to use it but the online component didn't work which was our homework so he gave it up :(

With a student discount I can get the sp4 i5 for the same price as the m3 so I'll actually be getting that.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Went to bestbuy and got the i5 model since I had $100 off since I had a coupon for being a student. I quite like the device so far

Note the M3 model wasn't part of the coupon so I figured for the same price as the M3 I'll get the i5 but I was sort of curious about the fan less model the M3 had

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have been playing around with it and I quite like the device. Feels like a laptop for me so I guess I'll be using my main one less unless it is to game on and I love the pen support.

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have been playing around with it and I quite like the device. Feels like a laptop for me so I guess I'll be using my main one less unless it is to game on and I love the pen support.

Great stuff!
If you haven't already, you might consider creating an additional, battery-friendly power profile.
Guides can be found Windowscentral's articles and the forum.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Great stuff!
If you haven't already, you might consider creating an additional, battery-friendly power profile.
Guides can be found Windowscentral's articles and the forum.

I'm actually going to run this in the default settings for a few days and see what happens..I don't really need the device until March when my semester starts so I can mess around with it for now

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Late to the conversation, but the Core M Surface Pro 4 has so many things going for it in the $Value equation. A really nice configuration for the average demands. However, with Microsoft gimping it to 4 Gigs of ram, it was a deal breaker and I stepped up, just as Microsoft was hoping\forcing me to. (I still love the device)

However, at CES 2016, Lenovo just showed off their ThinkPad branded tablet and it has Core M with up to 16 Gigs of ram. And it has a really interesting form factor with optional batteries and keyboards and such.

I'm hoping Microsoft responds to these newest OEM products by removing the 4 Gig Ram limit on the SP4 M-core.
The second I can get 8 Gigs on the SP4, my new I5-SP4 becomes a hand-me-down. (Although I have not ruled out the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 tablet)

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Update: unfortunately I exchanged my surface pro 4 for a Macbook Pro 13 inch. Similar specs but with 8gb of ram. I found battery life to be poor and the pen wasn't as accurate as I liked with my writing style since it's not the greatest to begin with. Only did about 75% of the time input my writing on the screen. I like the device and who knows when I am looking to replace my windows laptop which will still be my main device since it's bigger maybe I'll consider a surface pro 6 or 7? Battery life will only improve with better batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo