passive cooling?

refishafi

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
How do i check if my pro 4 has passive cooling set? I'm not seeing the option in advanced power settings

The fan kicks in repeatedly for even the lightest of tasks, wasn't there supposed to be liquid cooling in this device?

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want to tweak the hidden power settings in your profiles or create new profiles you need to follow the first part of this guide:
How to max out the Intel HD graphics on Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 | Windows Central

This will turn off connected standby which will give you access to new options in the advanced power settings. When you're done you can turn on the connected standby by modifying the registry key to the original value.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that setting the passive cooling option in the power options will really prevent the fan to kick in if the thing gets too hot. I think it will rather throttle the CPU/GPU down to try to use passive but I'm sure if things get hot it will still start the fan. But then again I never had the fan on on mine apart from the initial setup and a glitch with the python consoles.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about cars but on the motorcycle you do have ride modes which limit the HP and adjust the throttle for different situations. If it's raining/snowing you don't want the full 130HP on the rear wheel within 5? of throttle twist, you might want to spread them out on a wider throttle and limit the max to 80HP. So that metaphor is not necessarily good. Besides I can't imagine why would lowering the processor to a 40-50% would damage anything (otherwise the wise men would not provide the option to do that or make it the default for the GPU which is clocked lower than max on the default power scheme).But it's an option anyway, some people tweak everything others don't.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
80% of my usage is browsing the web. Why on earth would I want my i5 at 100% CPU to be able to open a website? Lol. I also edit simple documents and simple powerpoints. This is 80% of my usage. The other day while I was at the hospital (befre the NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS thread came out) I whipped it out. It told me I had 4-5 hours left. Last night, working it harder, I had 9-10 hours! I don't think it would stay at 9-10 hours, but in 1 hour it lost 11%.... That's INCREDIBLE for my SP4! I didn't change my usage AT ALL! I streamed 45 episode from our Plex server, and then streamed the sound to the bluetooth speakers in my room! in 1 hour it lost only 11%! My on the normal plan it would have gone down a lot more. And for what? Now, with a single click, I can go back to balanced, or power saver, or my new plan called CPU DOWN haha... And with CPU DOWN my device lasts 8-9 hours vs the 5-6 it did before with my normal usage.

Bless you +Geo Hutchings! Haha.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
80% of my usage is browsing the web. Why on earth would I want my i5 at 100% CPU to be able to open a website? Lol. I also edit simple documents and simple powerpoints. This is 80% of my usage. The other day while I was at the hospital (befre the NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS thread came out) I whipped it out. It told me I had 4-5 hours left. Last night, working it harder, I had 9-10 hours! I don't think it would stay at 9-10 hours, but in 1 hour it lost 11%.... That's INCREDIBLE for my SP4! I didn't change my usage AT ALL! I streamed 45 episode from our Plex server, and then streamed the sound to the bluetooth speakers in my room! in 1 hour it lost only 11%! My on the normal plan it would have gone down a lot more. And for what? Now, with a single click, I can go back to balanced, or power saver, or my new plan called CPU DOWN haha... And with CPU DOWN my device lasts 8-9 hours vs the 5-6 it did before with my normal usage.

Bless you +Geo Hutchings! Haha.

No problem man and as you can see even on my surface pro 3, 50% is more then enough for rendering and modeling and running both programs and other stuff at the same time... I mean 3d modeling i was only using 35% power XD people need to give the i5/i7 more credit, when on the web i run it at 0.9gbz, so basically an m3 but better Screenshot (69).jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]This thread has been purged of off topic chatter...

Assist the Op with their straightforward question or move along.[/WARN]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb