Occassional Squealing Sound from Speakers when Typing

iPhoneatWork

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed that within the last two weeks when I type using the Surface Pro 4 keyboard that I will get an occasional short squeak or squeal from the speakers. It sounds like some sort of an error with the sound card. It usually happens when I hit the shift key when typing, but I can't reproduce the error. I happens about 4-5 times daily.

Anyone else have this happen? I'm trying to figure out if its the keyboard producing an error or if it is Windows 10 or the hardware itself.

Can someone try my method below and see if you have the same problem?

Thanks!

Update: So I can now reproduce the problem. If I restart the Surface 4, log-in to to windows, then once logged in immediately press ctrl-z on the keyboard...it squeals. I can reproduce this every time. I will try a usb keyboard next.

Update 2: Tried usb keyboard and had same issue. This is a sound card driver issue it seems. I deleted both sound drivers from the devices panel...then ran a windows update check. It reported that the system hardware update of 12/17/15 needed to be downloaded again. Applied the update, rebooted, and same problem. I will have to wait until next hardware update in hopes of fix.

Last edited:

MikeHummel

Banned
Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Did you get this issue fixed? I had the same issue and I found out what it was.....Just wanted to check before I go into what the issue is..

iPhoneatWork

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I ended up reformatting and reloading Windows 10 to correct the issue. All is well now. It must have been corrupted software in Windows. At least I now know it's not a hardware issue.

Thanks!

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
It seems like they sometimes ships with a bad installation of win 10.
I could't do a system recovery drive. Only got an error.
So i had to do a new install of win 10 and that fixed the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3