Going to be using the Surface pro 4 as my main computer for a week. Any tips?

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
So something is wrong with my desktop. I need to send it back to Origin PC. Something is up with the motherboard or the RAM. So I need to use this device as my main computer for maybe a month? I have no idea how long Origin will keep it. I have the i5 with 256gig of ram and 8gigs of ram. So does anyone use this as their main computer? I am a web designer and use the Adobe suite and office. I do however use my main desktop for a lot more such as web surfing and to watch twitch.tv alot. Is there anything you guys recommend? Running the programs on my desktop, like having Chrome(with atleast 20 tabs), Steam, outlook, photoshop, dreamweaver, xbox app, skype, didnt really break my desktop. I feel that will break this machine LOL. Any advice?

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I use Surface Pro 4 8GB/256 i5 as my only system. Two docking stations 1 for home and one for the office. Love it. I am not as heavy a user as you. I do use Adobe Suite but not as my primary function. I consider myself a power user in that I will do the occasional photo editing, video editing but very infrequently. But very tech/computer savy. Love this setup,no lag, often have 8apps/windows open. I feel surface is an excellent device. More than capable. Have not had many issues as others. I am docked 80% of the time so battery and the sleep function are not deal breakers for me. Hope that helps.

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I use Surface Pro 4 8GB/256 i5 as my only system. Two docking stations 1 for home and one for the office. Love it. I am not as heavy a user as you. I do use Adobe Suite but not as my primary function. I consider myself a power user in that I will do the occasional photo editing, video editing but very infrequently. But very tech/computer savy. Love this setup,no lag, often have 8apps/windows open. I feel surface is an excellent device. More than capable. Have not had many issues as others. I am docked 80% of the time so battery and the sleep function are not deal breakers for me. Hope that helps.

That helps alot actually. I guess i run a lot of flash tabs in chrome. (please go away flash)But i actually plan on using my twitch app on xbox one to watch my fav stream to lesson the load on the device. I probably wont use those apps very much but I am redoing my personal site and lets face it Dreamweaver runs pretty speedy on my desktop i7 thats clock at 3.6ghz lol. I plan on getting the mini display port to hdmi cable to do a dual monitor setup and get the bigger screen as i think this 12inch will kill me after a week LMAO.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You should have no problems using the SP4 as the main PC if you don't need gaming. The SP can handle almost everything you through at it without hiccups. The only time I use something else is when I need very specific programs in Linux.

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
So after 3 weeks of using this as my main computer, its not bad at all. The system can handle my web browsing just fine. Twitter can be a bit slow but i follow a lot of people so thats really my fault. I decided to buy the app twetium. Runs well. I am connecting the device to an external display with a display to hdmi adapter. Now the image its outputing is nice but it does have some jaggies in areas where my main desktop would be smooth, like the little circle that comes up when something is loading.

One thing that has been happening to me is this. I have a pair of bose headphone plugged into the jack. Sometimes the cord is too long and if i accidentally sit on it and i turn my chair it will pull the surface down onto the keyboard. I keep worrying I am going to break it. I have done this 4 times and the device have been fine. I need a pair of wireless headphones for this thing. I am a bit worried i will keep being this clumsy. However i bought Microsoft Complete with the device the day i got it so i think i am good.

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Eventually you're going to pull the chair to hard, and it's going to come off the desk, I've done it with my ipad's before, it's GOING to happen. Get wireless sooner than later. If you're using as a main desktop, you can't afford even a day of screen breakage :)

mc511

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Eventually you're going to pull the chair to hard, and it's going to come off the desk, I've done it with my ipad's before, it's GOING to happen. Get wireless sooner than later. If you're using as a main desktop, you can't afford even a day of screen breakage :)
This is true but my Surface isnt my main computer. I sent that off to get repaired. Should be back later this week. I will still get the wireless headphones however.

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm only at home, awake, maybe 15% of my life. So the SP4 is definitely my main machine, despite the fact my desktop is much more powerful. I haven't had any major issues with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss