I just received my surface pro 4 and out of the box there is already a paint chip where the silvery part of the magnesium is exposed. It's at the lower bottom left and once I saw it I can't unsee it.

Also the pen was dropped just half a meter on the floor and the pen nib is broken. the pen tip is now wobbly. I know there will be a replacement nibs but shouldn't be the materials durable enough at the first place and remember it is just half a meter.

This is a premium device and I spent a good deal of money for the 8gb ram 128 model and this is what I get? I am careful with my device, on an OC side too and my 2014 macbook air looks new, no scratch whatsoever.

I can't just hop in in a microsoft store since I live in a part of the world where microsoft services are unavailable.

Any advice?

DSC_2175-01.jpegDSC_2144-01.jpeg
    12-30-2015 06:26 AM
    I just received my surface pro 4 and out of the box there is already a paint chip where the silvery part of the magnesium is exposed. It's at the lower bottom left and once I saw it I can't unsee it.

Also the pen was dropped just half a meter on the floor and the pen nib is broken. the pen tip is now wobbly. I know there will be a replacement nibs but shouldn't be the materials durable enough at the first place and remember it is just half a meter.

This is a premium device and I spent a good deal of money for the 8gb ram 128 model and this is what I get? I am careful with my device, on an OC side too and my 2014 macbook air looks new, no scratch whatsoever.

I can't just hop in in a microsoft store since I live in a part of the world where microsoft services are unavailable.

Any advice?

DSC_2175-01.jpegDSC_2144-01.jpeg
    Complain to the store that shipped it to you instead of a forum?
    12-30-2015 08:08 AM
    The pen nibs are delicate - this is true of any type of precision pen. If you drop it, it will probably damage it. I've had to replace mine already just from regular use, no dropping. The same could be said of a fountain pen nib, or a technical pen nib.
    It's small, it's pointy, it's delicate.

Can't help you with the paint, though. I threw a skin on mine immediately. I agree with boltman, try the store you purchased it from.
    12-30-2015 11:34 AM
    I don't think there is grounds to be complaining about dropping the pen and damaging it. The paint could be arguable, try you're luck at the store, but personally I wouldn't even take my pen back with a broken tip because I dropped it and want a new one. That's just absurd. The pen was in no means designed to be able to be dropped and pushed back on Microsoft. Comparable of me bumping my car into a wall and saying that shouldn't happen and wanting the car manufacturer to fix it. There's replacement nibs, and you should purchase new ones.
    12-30-2015 05:48 PM
    Same thing happened to my pen. It's delicate. You can try pulling the tip out totally and flipping it around.... It's a work around.

Other option is to order the replacement pen tip kit.
    12-31-2015 09:20 PM
    I think you have every right to be annoyed at the fact that there are chipping issues on your new device. The Surface tablet is a seriously expensive investment and you should expect it to arrive in good condition.

Go here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=-b2sXMzE

And let them know about the paint issue. The customer care guys at MS are surprisingly good these days.....they'll help you out. They may even be prepared to sort out the pen if you explain what happened

Good luck :)
    01-01-2016 06:10 AM
    Same thing happened to my pen. It's delicate. You can try pulling the tip out totally and flipping it around.... It's a work around.

Other option is to order the replacement pen tip kit.
    Flipping it around? It's a completely different shape and material on the other end! OP dropped the pen, spend thr 10 bucks on the pen tip kit to replace the broken part.
    01-01-2016 03:55 PM
    Flipping it around? It's a completely different shape and material on the other end! OP dropped the pen, spend thr 10 bucks on the pen tip kit to replace the broken part.
    Hey. I flipped it and it works for me :) To each their one eh.
    01-01-2016 06:51 PM
    The SP4 pen is way more delicate than the Wacom pens of the SP, SP2, and TabletPC era. I broke mine in much the same way and the MS store just gave me a new one since it was so new. But the lesson is that the pen is less durable (especially the tips) than the past. I've dropped plenty of the old Wacom pens from higher heights without issue.

The MS store guy said he's broken some himself. However, I decided to just buy the whole replacement nib pack for $10. I now use the 2H tip which I find I like better anyway and will probably be more durable than the HB tip that ships with the SP4. The HB tip is a thin plastic shell around a softer rubber nib and that is fragile. The 2H tip is one solid piece of plastic. It's got a smoother, glassier feel than the HB nib, but that's how the Wacom styli feel anyway so I'm used to (and prefer) that. YMMV.
    eran says likes this.
    01-04-2016 08:00 PM
    The SP4 pen is way more delicate than the Wacom pens of the SP, SP2, and TabletPC era. I broke mine in much the same way and the MS store just gave me a new one since it was so new. But the lesson is that the pen is less durable (especially the tips) than the past. I've dropped plenty of the old Wacom pens from higher heights without issue.

The MS store guy said he's broken some himself. However, I decided to just buy the whole replacement nib pack for $10. I now use the 2H tip which I find I like better anyway and will probably be more durable than the HB tip that ships with the SP4. The HB tip is a thin plastic shell around a softer rubber nib and that is fragile. The 2H tip is one solid piece of plastic. It's got a smoother, glassier feel than the HB nib, but that's how the Wacom styli feel anyway so I'm used to (and prefer) that. YMMV.
    I also prefer the 2h
    01-06-2016 10:19 AM
    Late post here, reviving from the dead. I bought a Surface Book last year, and the original tip in the pen was damaged within 3-4 months; visibly bent and the black casing for the tip cracked open. I don't use the pen that much; I've done some rough sketches. I ordered the tip set to replace it, and again the standard tip (HB?) was worn in 3-4 months; bent with the case cracked open. I've switched to the 2H with the hope that it will last longer. Anyone switched to another pen that is more durable?
    04-16-2018 12:39 PM