Which Surface Pro 4 should I buy for FFXIV?

sonikku13

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I am debating between three SP4 models: the i5/4 GB/128 GB SP4, the i5/8 GB/256 GB SP4, and the i7/8 GB/256 GB SP4. I love my SP3 i3/4 GB/64 GB, but it only gets 20 FPS in FFXIV in a housing area. I would like to have a device that doesn't feel as slow as the i3 does when multitasking, eliminating the m3/4 GB/128 GB from contention. I can't overspend, eliminating the higher end i7 and 16 GB SP4 models, along with all SB models with a dGPU, from contention. I do not want ****-poor build quality, eliminating any other laptop or tablet from consideration, as the Surface Pro 4 seems to have impeccable build quality.

So, given the constraints here, which SP4 model should I go for? I should also mention, the cheaper, the better.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I am debating between three SP4 models: the i5/4 GB/128 GB SP4, the i5/8 GB/256 GB SP4, and the i7/8 GB/256 GB SP4. I love my SP3 i3/4 GB/64 GB, but it only gets 20 FPS in FFXIV in a housing area. I would like to have a device that doesn't feel as slow as the i3 does when multitasking, eliminating the m3/4 GB/128 GB from contention. I can't overspend, eliminating the higher end i7 and 16 GB SP4 models, along with all SB models with a dGPU, from contention. I do not want ****-poor build quality, eliminating any other laptop or tablet from consideration, as the Surface Pro 4 seems to have impeccable build quality.

So, given the constraints here, which SP4 model should I go for? I should also mention, the cheaper, the better.

Actually the Core M3 is more powerful than the Core i3 in the Surface Pro 3, and as far as I know the GPU is better too. However, you'd still have problems with multitasking, and the Core M3 still isn't any good for gaming. I figure you'd get about 30 fps with it, but I'd jump up to the Core i5 with 8 GB of RAM. The Core M3 would get the job done but you'd still miss the extra RAM and I don't think it's worth the upgrade from the Surface Pro 3. Just my opinion.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
FFXIV, like other MMOs, are VERY resource hungry when it comes to high populated areas. I doubt you are ever going to be very happy with performance on a computer without a dedicated GPU. If you are upgrading your Surface Pro ONLY to get better FPS in game, my bet is that you are going to be very unhappy with the small imrpvements for such a large price.

So every other computer is out of the question?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
FFXIV, like other MMOs, are VERY resource hungry when it comes to high populated areas. I doubt you are ever going to be very happy with performance on a computer without a dedicated GPU. If you are upgrading your Surface Pro ONLY to get better FPS in game, my bet is that you are going to be very unhappy with the small imrpvements for such a large price.

If he's wanting something high quality that doesn't cost a fortune, the Dell XPS 13 might be a good bet. It doesn't have a dedicated GPU but it's premium and has a Core i5.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you want good gaming, you're going to want at least Iris level graphics. so that means Core i7 (though there are some variants of Core i5 that has Iris but Microsoft didn't choose any i5 models with Iris). Anything with HD 520 graphics will disappoint you (which is what comes with Core i5).

I'm not going to regurgitate about Iris. You can see my post here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-4/400581-3.htm#post3345031

I have the i7/8GB/256GB model. Fabulous machine that I can throw anything I want to it and have it run well. Some good 1080p gaming to be had with this model.

sonikku13

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually the Core M3 is more powerful than the Core i3 in the Surface Pro 3, and as far as I know the GPU is better too. However, you'd still have problems with multitasking, and the Core M3 still isn't any good for gaming. I figure you'd get about 30 fps with it, but I'd jump up to the Core i5 with 8 GB of RAM. The Core M3 would get the job done but you'd still miss the extra RAM and I don't think it's worth the upgrade from the Surface Pro 3. Just my opinion.

The Core i3-4020Y gets the job done so far, but it's multitasking that bogs it down. I assume since the Core m3 has a lower TDP, it'll do a lot more power throttling to hit it's TDP.

I'm such a fan of the Surface Pro lineup that I'd say every other PC is out of the question. Unless I build my own PC, which would entail upgrading my desktop PC.

If he's wanting something high quality that doesn't cost a fortune, the Dell XPS 13 might be a good bet. It doesn't have a dedicated GPU but it's premium and has a Core i5.

Unless I build my own PC, which means upgrading my current desktop, I'm only considering a Surface Pro 4 right now.

If you want good gaming, you're going to want at least Iris level graphics. so that means Core i7 (though there are some variants of Core i5 that has Iris but Microsoft didn't choose any i5 models with Iris). Anything with HD 520 graphics will disappoint you (which is what comes with Core i5).

I'm not going to regurgitate about Iris. You can see my post here:
<edited out to be able to post, something about needing 10 posts>

I have the i7/8GB/256GB model. Fabulous machine that I can throw anything I want to it and have it run well. Some good 1080p gaming to be had with this model.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea, should I be able to scrounge up the money. I know for sure I'd be able to afford the i5/4 GB/128 GB model, however.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It is an older game that should run fine with the Core i5. The recommended specs for the game, in fact, list the Core i5.

You're just going to have to scale the graphics to get great performance. So I would guess it would run great at 1920x1080 (the default resolution of the SP4 is 2736?1824).

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Core i3-4020Y gets the job done so far, but it's multitasking that bogs it down. I assume since the Core m3 has a lower TDP, it'll do a lot more power throttling to hit it's TDP.

I'm such a fan of the Surface Pro lineup that I'd say every other PC is out of the question. Unless I build my own PC, which would entail upgrading my desktop PC.

Unless I build my own PC, which means upgrading my current desktop, I'm only considering a Surface Pro 4 right now.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea, should I be able to scrounge up the money. I know for sure I'd be able to afford the i5/4 GB/128 GB model, however.

I honestly think you'd do fine with the Core i5 with 8 GB of RAM. I can't justify buying the Core i5 with only 4 GB of RAM though, as I don't think it's worth it over the Core M3. And if you're worrying about the Core M3 throttling massively, don't. It's plenty fast for everyday tasks. It's terrible for gaming but then again so is the Core i3, really. The sixth-generation Intel processors are massively better at gaming, though. Either way, Core i5 with 8 GB of RAM gets my full recommendation. You could grab the Core i7 but there's no reason to go full out if you don't have to (especially if you're wanting to save a few bucks).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon