Girlfriend got herself a Surface Pro 4, I am jealous as a Macbook Pro User.

Kaffeebohnson

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I own a pretty substantial Macbook Pro, my third Laptop, and it is really great and beautiful - but using a new laptop has become a predictable experience and feels kinda bland. What a first-world problem to have, right?

My girlfriend recently got herself a Surface Pro 4, and I instantly was hooked by it. I never realized by how it is marketed, but Surface tablets are essentially laptops - with the guts behind the display instead of under the keyboard. It always seemed that the Surface is trying to compete with iPads and Android Tablets, when in reality it is much more capable than that.

The Surface is a complete, powerful Laptop running (the infuriatingly buggy) Windows 10. But it is also a Tablet. And has a Pen to draw with. And a nice fuzzy, clicky keyboard. And a weird stand. And a terribly loud fan! It is so quirky and capable and something completely different. It's layout is how I imagined back in 2005 my future laptop would look like. It fascinates me.

I installed Steam on it and used it to play several last-gen Games, with the Surface connected to an HDTV and an Xbox Controller. Suddenly it was a miniature (if much more expensive) Xbox 360. It seems cheesy, but it felt kind of magical to be able to do this with a "tablet".

Now I totally want a Surface for myself, but I have absolutely no reason to get one. What a bummer. Maybe in a few years. They should get rid of the fan until then, too ;)

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I own a pretty substantial Macbook Pro, my third Laptop, and it is really great and beautiful - but using a new laptop has become a predictable experience and feels kinda bland. What a first-world problem to have, right?

My girlfriend recently got herself a Surface Pro 4, and I instantly was hooked by it. I never realized by how it is marketed, but Surface tablets are essentially laptops - with the guts behind the display instead of under the keyboard. It always seemed that the Surface is trying to compete with iPads and Android Tablets, when in reality it is much more capable than that.

The Surface is a complete, powerful Laptop running (the infuriatingly buggy) Windows 10. But it is also a Tablet. And has a Pen to draw with. And a nice fuzzy, clicky keyboard. And a weird stand. And a terribly loud fan! It is so quirky and capable and something completely different. It's layout is how I imagined back in 2005 my future laptop would look like. It fascinates me.

I installed Steam on it and used it to play several last-gen Games, with the Surface connected to an HDTV and an Xbox Controller. Suddenly it was a miniature (if much more expensive) Xbox 360. It seems cheesy, but it felt kind of magical to be able to do this with a "tablet".

Now I totally want a Surface for myself, but I have absolutely no reason to get one. What a bummer. Maybe in a few years. They should get rid of the fan until then, too ;)

M3 @ $899 has no fan do it now..be happy

2nd Gen Skylake M core offers 40% gen-on-gen graphics improvements and 100% improvement on processing power over old gen 1 M core chips in Apple Macbook..make her fanless jealous. M3 is life

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Blindly pitching the m3 when the OP clearly games is harmful. Advice to "Do it now" without noting the clear downgrade in gaming performance is reckless

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Users are having a hard time staying on topic. Thus thread is generating a high rate of reports.

Other users are not a topic. Opinions are fine. Interpersonal conflict is not.

This thread is on a temporary hiatus. It will reopen sometime in future.[/WARN]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire