Surface crashes

beno76

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I got a new i7 with 16Gb RAM. Out of the box it worked normaly, but after updating the software it crashes. When i turn it on it comes to the login screen and it is ok, but when I log in it crashes(black screen) randomly. Once in 4 seconds and once after 2 minutes, with nothing going on. Tryed to reinstal winows, but its the same story. In safe mode it is ok, also tried to install the intel driver again, but it did not help. 😒 Anybody has the same problem?

ozb

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Also with the SP4 i7 16GB. Sometimes it works perfectly, but more often it black screens after 1 to 20 minutes without any indication as to why. It obviously makes the device unusable as a daily driver. I'm in contact with MS Support to see if it's a production error or just a driver error.

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have the i7 16gb 256gb version

While I was updating the software the screen was going black often until the device was fully up to date. This is no longer a problem now. Give it 30 minutes or so to fully update or reboot using the power button (keep pressed in for 20 seconds or so ). If it is fully up to date then press windows + p if the screen goes off but doesn't turn on.

It seems most of the black screen problems were occurring when my power settings were set to hibernation mode. I have now set everything to sleep or shut down. The screen rarely goes black when I try to wake it up. On the rare occasion that it does , press windows + p. This seems to solve that problem every time now.

Other than that I had one evening where watching YouTube videos on edge browser caused the device screen to go blue and reboot l. That only happened the one evening.

Other than that it runs beautifully now. I've had it around a month and it is very stable and I don't experience any issues other than crap battery life .

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ozb

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I just had it switched out through the MS store. They were very friendly about it. I received a new Surface and some discount and haven't had any black screens since. So it most likely is a hardware defect which went undetected past QC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05