Should I return my SP4?

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
<rant> Exchanged mine today on the chance my original SP4 was a lemon; that those who've posted they have no issues, had a better put together device...no fat chance!!! New device doesn't charge, windows reports the battery is at 0% and the device immediately powers off when I unplug. Ive spent 3 hours troubleshooting with MS support (WOW! they're special) and am fed-up. Call it just my (bad) luck but in all my years computing (30 years since my Apple IIc; and have been a computer geek since), I have never experienced this amount of hardships with a device. SP2 was the same and took months to stabilize. One more exchange and the pending firmware refresh (hopefully arriving next week) is all I can take! You have much to learn Microsoft. It saddens me how low the bar has fallen in this post-Jobsian world. </rant>

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
<rant> Exchanged mine today on the chance my original SP4 was a lemon; that those who've posted they have no issues, had a better put together device...no fat chance!!! New device doesn't charge, windows reports the battery is at 0% and the device immediately powers off when I unplug. Ive spent 3 hours troubleshooting with MS support (WOW! they're special) and am fed-up. Call it just my (bad) luck but in all my years computing (30 years since my Apple IIc; and have been a computer geek since), I have never experienced this amount of hardships with a device. SP2 was the same and took months to stabilize. One more exchange and the pending firmware refresh (hopefully arriving next week) is all I can take! You have much to learn Microsoft. It saddens me how low the bar has fallen in this post-Jobsian world. </rant>
I am curious to know what lot number you have on this most recent SP4 purchase

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Got my 1st SP4, i5/8gb/256gb, no light bleed at all, nor any problems encountered (no display driver crashes, random rebooting or any of the like). It's of lot 1550, which means it's more of a luck of the draw.

But OP, I would agree with zkey, you are paying your own money to buy a product, so you should really hold the product to a high standard. If it doesn't work for you NOW, or it has problems currently, either exchange it or return it. No matter if the company will promise a "better future", don't buy/believe it since you'll be disappointed in the end.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Well looks like this latest SP4 I just setup moments ago falls into the category of a must return. I have two other devices, but they do not have the light bleed issue. I can't believe how bad light bleed is on this latest one I setup. Back to the store it goes.

anachrotech

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Got my 1st SP4, i5/8gb/256gb, no light bleed at all, nor any problems encountered (no display driver crashes, random rebooting or any of the like). It's of lot 1550, which means it's more of a luck of the draw.

But OP, I would agree with zkey, you are paying your own money to buy a product, so you should really hold the product to a high standard. If it doesn't work for you NOW, or it has problems currently, either exchange it or return it. No matter if the company will promise a "better future", don't buy/believe it since you'll be disappointed in the end.

Might have been their best lot. Mine is also an i5/8gb/256gb lot 1550 and absolutely no issues so far.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I usually have bad luck, but every since one of my SP4s have been in really good shape, except for maybe a TINY TINY bit of light bleed. My 1550 i5/8gb is great... :) Happy!
I just got back from my local best buy store and exchanged. This one seems to be better. I let my wife evaluate, best to have second opinions. But from what I can see this replacement looks better. I see in upper left corner on boot a small amount of light bleed but when I use one of the youtube back light bleed videos, it seems to look ok

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Wow. I have an "old" SP4 with build 1545 and i have tried the backlit bleed test with the youtube video.
And i have a hard time seeing any bleed at all.
So strange. I wonder what the difference is.
Different factorys or something?

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but still very unacceptable; fairly obvious while watching movies or doing any photoshop work. Monday at BestBuy should be interesting!

You do know that Best Buy can refuse a return? Usually this does happen where you have what they feel is a person returning without cause. And this is because many of the staff there probably have not purchased these products to appreciate the issue as we do.

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Yep, that's why I wrote "interesting" I'm already flagged in their system. But the last one didn't even turn on unless plugged in, I shouldn't be penalized for that.

I do have to say, this one's thermals are leaps and bounds better, fan has been on once in the 3 days I've had it. The worst bleed on any screen I've purchased in 15 years is reason enough to go back tho.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)