M3 Users Ahoy

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Looking to get a Surface Pro 4 and thinking about the M3 version as I need it for mainly office, surfing, watching videos and maybe a bit of Photoshop elements. There doesn't seem to be many posts from M3 users on the forum is that because there are not many users or it has few faults

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I got one a couple months ago. It's more than adequate for my use- browsing, mail, Office, and other light to moderate tasks. Even with lots of Edge tabs open the RAM never gets close to maxing out, and I haven't noticed any CPU strain.

Other than minor light bleed on the bottom edge of the screen, as reported by lots of users, its build quality is very good. The light bleed doesn't really bother me.

I really like the fanless feature, by the way.

I only have a couple bug annoyances, and they seem to be reported for all versions. If I change the Surface orientation from/to portrait/landscape with Edge open it may freeze. It always happens when I do that and resize the window going between tablet and desktop mode. I have to restart with power+volume up.

The other annoyance is the windows in tablet mode don't stay maximized, hence the comment above.

Both are fairly minor and I expect eventual fixes.

right_mr1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
And it will help that the battery life on the M3 version should far exceed that of the i7 16gb model I own. I am lucky to get more than 4 hours off a full battery without keeping powersave mode permanently activated. The M3 should do 7 or 8 hours easy in theory

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I am planning use mostly in tablet mode with the pen and on screen keyboard does anyone foresee any problems with this?

Davidz

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I had both the M3 and the i5/4/128 for a month.

It depends on your priorities -- battery life vs. power/speed. My testing indicated the M3 gets about 14% more battery life on a charge. The i5 is a bit faster and has more headroom if you run CPU intensive programs. The M3 is fine for MS office, websurfing, email, etc.

It was a very close call for me, but I chose the i5. I can live with 5 hours battery time and I prefer the extra speed/power. I use my SP4 primarily for travel, but I find I'm enjoying using it to surf around the house, too. It's my first tablet. I've been looking for a travel ultrabook for 2 or 3 years, but nothing motivated me to purchase. Once I saw the SP4 form factor, I was sold.

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I finally pulled the trigger on an M3 from John Lewis as it comes with 2 year warrantee free. The only other version I was tempted with was the i5 8GB but couldn't find an excuse to spend the extra cash

Last edited:

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Loving the M3 so far had no issues bought the extra nibs from Microsoft for ?10 just in case of breakages. Also not finding a need for a physical keyboard yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss