Battery life - Software or Hardware?

pettor

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Surface Pro 4 i7, 512gb disk and 16gb ram. I love the device for most reasons and just think Microsoft have created a truly amazing device.

The only complaint I have is the battery life. I have a lot of things installed and use it for Visual Studio, painting, Visual Studio etc. OneDrive and Adobe Cloud service are running but I try to limit the background tasks and don't keep anything running I don't need. I usually use Edge instead of Chrome. It just behaves much better with the Surface.

However, even when I just browse the net, maybe use the mailapp, some easy paint app (like Bamboo Paper) the battery drain is quite heavy. I usually don't use laptops without having them being charged in a dock, so therefore I have no idea if this drain is uncommon.

I am happy to get 4 hoursof usage with "preferred" brightness. I have never ever seen the battery estimation saying 7, 8 or 9 hours which seems to be what I can expect according to specs.

There are more persons having similar problem and my question is basically, is this a software or hardware problem? Have someone any experience with this i.e. returned the Surface to get a new one and saw a dramatic change in battery drain. Or is this just something I will have to optimize myself and wait for better drivers? I don't see much reason why the battery quality would differ with newer batches.

// Petter Gustafsson

Rattso2005

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had this same unit twice and returned them both because of issues ( constant bugs, screen would become unresponsive, BSOD., driver display issue and bad battery life...) The last one I exchanged for the i5/256/8gb and so far the battery seems to be better and haven't had BSOD issue or display driver issue come up once. This experience leads me to believe it's a combination of both hardware and software. Just my opinion having owned many gadgets over the years.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs