Welcome to Surfacegate!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
He might be a blowheart but he is still a prominent blogger. Many people still read his blog, and at least IMHO its better than WC.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
He might be a blowheart but he is still a prominent blogger. Many people still read his blog, and at least IMHO its better than WC.

Paut Thurrot is not a good windows blogger ... he is so negative and needs to rip Apple and not let Leo do his Apple rah rah stuff

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Blowhard maybe but his point in his post is valid...Microsoft is messing up big time. The countless hours we and many surface owners worldwide have spent troubleshooting systemic issues cannot be reconciled. Go public, tell people what is currently broken, what will be fixed and when.

I returned my personal SP4 (permanently) because it was a mess, sticking with my SP2 which out-performs it in every way except form factor and will start evaluating a new device shortly. As an IT Director for a large healthcare co, we just cancelled a major order to update our mobile users to SP4s...it's simply not ready. Furthermore, without clear and open communication from Microsoft, I cannot bestow that pain on my users or my support team.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't own a SP, but my boss has a company owned one - and he's had several of these issues with it.

Yes, the author is on the right track - MSFT needs to say - hey this is a thing... I won't go so far as to say they've ignored it - because it's out there - but they aren't handling it correctly, that's for certain.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I would agree that there some issues with the Surface 3, Surface Pro's 3 and 4, but they are still the standard for 2-in-1's so I don't quite get the notion that MSFT is messing up big time. I turned in my initial Surface 3 and got another one, and for the most part have had minor issues, but it's still head and toes better then any tablet I've owned. It's why so many have such a high anticipation for the "Surface phone."

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The big problem I have is he throws out these outlandish blustery blogs and then when it turns out he's wrong, it just gets ignored or swept under the rug.

Like he had a rant about how awful the Microsoft Wireless Adapter was and how there were much better options out there, even pointing out an option that turned out to be completely wrong. He mentioned the Amazon Fire Stick as a much better alternative without even knowing that the Amazon Fire Stick was fundamentally broken in its Miracast support on Windows machines. It wouldn't even recognize a Windows machine. It took multiple firmware revisions before the device was usable as a Miracast receiver for Windows machines. Months later, he writes a much smaller blog about Miracast devices and writes a small section stating that the Microsoft Wireless Adapter was currently the best available Miracast device and copied and pasted all the arguments that people had given to him via comments defending the need and use for the Wireless Adapter.

He just likes to rant because its his personality type and gets him views. He's made multiple rants against the Xbox One that were entirely ill-informed or even blatantly wrong. If you don't know the subject material, you shouldn't be ranting with such veracity.

I listed to Windows Weekly once the podcast is up. Mostly for Mary Jo Foley. And when Thurrott says something blatantly wrong, I just want to wring his neck. I wish I had the time to listen to the show live so I could directly point out all his mistakes but most of us live in the real world where we work. Unfortunately, I can't respond and even post links to articles and sources to correct him on the spot. And he won't listen after the fact.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with OnlySublime.

For me, Paul, like so many others has a point about Microsoft's failures. I generally agree with Paul except when you use the behavior in another platform to chastise the one you brought to the dance. I would much rather Paul rake Microsoft over the coals directly if he's got some bone to pick than do it from the front steps @ Cupertino. Its airing of ones "dirty laundry" that Paul in his latter years seems to be doing a lot lately. I guess he's feeling left out of the Microsoft news chain in the last few years. I have a feeling I know why.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with OnlySublime.

For me, Paul, like so many others has a point about Microsoft's failures. I generally agree with Paul except when you use the behavior in another platform to chastise the one you brought to the dance. I would much rather Paul rake Microsoft over the coals directly if he's got some bone to pick than do it from the front steps @ Cupertino. Its airing of ones "dirty laundry" that Paul in his latter years seems to be doing a lot lately. I guess he's feeling left out of the Microsoft news chain in the last few years. I have a feeling I know why.

This is typical of the blogosphere or the press in general. Look at guys like Bill Simmons or Colin Cowherd. I don't care for either of them because they flip flop more than pancakes but they're wildly popular for some un-Godly reason. Stephen A. is the definition of a mindless windbag but he's on multiple shows. I'd call these guys successful.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps I will. At least I get Microsoft is set for the next four to five decades with their move from on ground products to the cloud. But alas I prefer to hit more with this truth in blogs like these.

Paul Thurrott seems to make negative press for that sake. No one is saying #SurfaceGate but him we all know that firmware and software will "fix" SP4/SB and for know turning the thing off and on is the mitigation.

Instead of touting the positives he concentrates solely on the perceived negatives. If you own a SP4 or SB you are happy not unhappy like he pretends...He is a failed Window blogger and cowtows to Leo on TWIT..its embarrassing that he is the "front man"

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the market for 150 to 200 portable devices for our staff, many of which are doctors and nurses who require powerful portable devices for medical scans and other proprietary software that can last almost a full work day. I thought the SP4 was that, since it is billed as such. The current workarounds (hibernate, cpu limiting, disable hello, etc...) can be GPOd for easy deployment but to me, defeat the point in buying a premium device and cripple the cost/benefit. Scenarios like this are "real world" and you would be foolish to ignore the fact that Microsoft is missing out on these real world sales due to their silence and overall terrible support of their flagship devices.

Let's get back to the point of this thread, the secret is being shouted; as it stands today, SP4/SB is not ready for prime time. Please keep in mind I consider the recent crop of Surface devices to be 4th generation, which is why I'm even considering it (was)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Regardless of favorite tech company, people will always claim that bloggers who are critical are nothing but hacks.

Anyone who is experiencing the issues that Thurrott is reporting will be grateful for him bringing the issue to the public. Anyone who is not experiencing the issues will think he's exaggerating or trolling.

Bottom line: If you're experiencing problems and not getting any solutions, return the device if you can, take it up with Microsoft. Sitting and waiting in the hope that a solution will be forthcoming is not a recommended course of action.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is typical of the blogosphere or the press in general. Look at guys like Bill Simmons or Colin Cowherd. I don't care for either of them because they flip flop more than pancakes but they're wildly popular for some un-Godly reason. Stephen A. is the definition of a mindless windbag but he's on multiple shows. I'd call these guys successful.

True. Especially in light of the fact that they exist due to mouse clicks. If they can't get clicks, they don't eat. So if trashing Microsoft gets the next meal, none are immune to selling out. Its happening now with Apple. Lawsuit here, mistake there, Apple might be overtaken by alphabet company...and on and on. Bloggers are bought and sold by the highest bidder (or the mouse click). This is the industry we have to live with. As CK Louis said back in 2013, "everything is amazing, nobody is happy." That can't be more true on this platform.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the market for 150 to 200 portable devices for our staff, many of which are doctors and nurses who require powerful portable devices for medical scans and other proprietary software that can last almost a full work day. I thought the SP4 was that, since it is billed as such. The current workarounds (hibernate, cpu limiting, disable hello, etc...) can be GPOd for easy deployment but to me, defeat the point in buying a premium device and cripple the cost/benefit. Scenarios like this are "real world" and you would be foolish to ignore the fact that Microsoft is missing out on these real world sales due to their silence and overall terrible support of their flagship devices.

Let's get back to the point of this thread, the secret is being shouted; as it stands today, SP4/SB is not ready for prime time. Please keep in mind I consider the recent crop of Surface devices to be 4th generation, which is why I'm even considering it (was)

You're looking at a premium, consumer-centric device when you have a specific set of tasks you need done. There are niche makers like Motion Computing that cater to the healthcare field. The SP4 may be the best Microsoft has to offer, but it doesn't possess the skill set you need. A 5-series BMW may have incredible performance, comfort and good fuel economy, but you need it to tow a boat.

Davidz

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the market for 150 to 200 portable devices for our staff, many of which are doctors and nurses who require powerful portable devices for medical scans and other proprietary software that can last almost a full work day...

I, too, would be hesitant to deploy a boatload of SP4s in that environment. Not only are you staking your professional reputation on these devices, you are going to have to provide support to them as well.

I would be cautious to use it as my daily driver. Fortunately for me, my SP4 is not mission critical. It's primarily for travel (about 15 to 20 days a year) and for playing around the house.

The SP4 is in a class all by itself. In fact, it defines a new class. I suspect that every hardware company will offer SP4 clones in the near future and they will become cheaper and much more reliable.

But, as you said it's not ready for prime time. In the meantime, the thing you find so frustrating is that it *IS* such a cool device. You want your user group to have it and enjoy it as you do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro