External Monitor Dock issues

naash89

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello

i recently got a SP4 i5/256/8GB and the new dock. i went out to best buy and got a couple of their rocketfish mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters and plugged them into the dock, however they dont seem to work for more than 30 seconds. when the dock is connected to the surface the 2 external monitors turn on along with the surface screen, however they keep saying change input to 1600 x 1050, whcih they are set to on my surface. for about 30 seconds i can use all 3 monitors independently then the monitors stop recognizing the signal and go to sleep.

ive tried the adapter by plugging it directly into the SP4 and it works, but i can only use one external then.

has any one encountered this issue or know of a solution?

Zim117

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi
By no means is this going to be the bang on anwser you want but...

I am planing on the same set up and have seen this is a big issue.
With what I have read you need to use an active adapter
Not passive
As far as my research has led me a company call startech make the best adaptive cables

Hope this helps and if anyone thinks this is a wrong anwser please post as I am very interested too.

mowinemdown

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don't understand. What is the point of the expensive dock if you have to have an expensive active adapter? I would think that if I can get a display from my Surface MDP, it should work with a dock. Weird...

Michael Huber1

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Surface Book + Dock with 2 Dell P2314H monitors. Both are connected with mDP-DP cables to Surface Dock. My set up is that the Surface Book screen is off and everything is on the two external monitors only.

While I had some reliability issues in the past, it generally worked out. But things took a bad turn following the 1/27/16 firmware update. Very frequently I lose the connection to the 2 external monitors and everything reverts back to the Surface Book display. In order to get the 2 monitors to work again, I need to unplug and plug back in the power cord the Surface Dock. But this is only a temporary fix.

Very frustrating.... Do others have similar issues?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99