Freezing

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine froze again yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have to try factory reset and then consider returning the device if it happens again. I hate doing factory reset, was hoping to avoid that :(

PaulAndrewTaylor

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I had freezing problems when I installed Win10 on my legacy desktop. After much flaffing about I switched to Chrome - eh voila! - no more freezing problems. You wouldn't catch me using Edge again

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have my SP3 freeze up fairly regularly.

I found that yanking the type cover off and re-connecting it immediately unfreezes it. It seems better when I don't use the Type Cover at all and just use the on-screen keyboard.

I see in the latest Windows Insider Blog that MS is aware of the issue and is investigating.

TenchiZ06

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully they fix the issue soon then. This is my last biggest complaint with the SP4.

At least the display driver crashing is very rare now. I've only experienced it a couple times since the last major update.

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Freezing - Possible fix

I was experiencing this kind of freezing at least 5 times a day specially while browsing with Edge.

If you can't wait for microsoft to finally acknowledge and fix this bug, read on..

On the event viewer, you can check if you have this kind of error related to runtime broker:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

and APPID

{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

if you get this kind of error, you can try this solution that I had gathered from the web. This has fixed mine by the way.

Basically this problem is due to DCOM RuntimeBroker application without proper permission granted to user SYSTEM, so the solution below will just create the missing authorization to SYSTEM that uses the RuntimeBroker app. I made some few modification because the previous version was created for windows 8.1, and windows 10 does not allow anymore some of the steps. By the way, the script attached is safe and just temporarily modify the owner of Runtime Broker in Registry so that proper privileges can be granted to Administrator. Manually doing this is tedious. You can read lx07 description of this script in the links I provided at the end.

-START-

Solution:

Fix for Distributed COM RuntimeBroker (Error ID: 10016):

1. Run PowerShell with Administrator rights. Do this by clicking Windows key> type powershell> in the result, right click powershell and click "Run as Administrator".

2. Open the attached script - "PowerShell Script for RuntimeBroker.txt". Select all, CTRL+C then go back to Powershell window and paste the script or press CTRL+V. Click Enter
The script will modify Administrator privileges from Read-Only to Full-Control of the following registry entries:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}\LocalServer32

3.When done, reboot.

4.Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers (middle window)> My Computer > DCOM Config and then right click on RuntimeBroker and click Properties > Security. You?ll see 3 edit buttons.

5.Make sure Customize is checked and then click on the top Edit under "Launch and Activation Permissions".
If prompted with warning window "Windows Security - One more or more of the permission entries attached to Registry Value has an unrecognized... etc. " Just click REMOVE. This will remove the unwanted entries and will enable you to correct/ADD new users e.g SYSTEM

6.In the Group or user names box highlight each and make sure that Local Launch and Local Activation are checked. Make sure that you have in the Group or User Names window: All Applications Packages, Self, SYSTEM, Administrators, and Interactive. If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK, and make sure that Local Launch and Local Activation are checked.

7.Now click the middle Edit under "Access Permissions" (make sure Customize is checked off) then in the Group or user names box highlight each and make sure that Local Access is checked off. When done click OK. Make sure that you have in the Group or User Names window: All Applications Packages, Self, System, Administrators, Local Service, and Network Service. If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK, and make sure that Local Access is checked off.

8.Click the bottom Edit under "Configuration Parameters" (make sure Customize is checked off) then click Advanced. Each Principal should have Read Access except for Administrators, and TrustedInstaller who should have Full. If you need to make any changes, highlight the one to change then click Edit, make any changes, and then click OK. You should have the following principals listed: All Applications Packages, System, Administrators, Users, and TrustedInstaller. If any are missing then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK (make sure that Read is checked). Then click OK until all the Properties windows are closed. Now close up the Component Services window.

9.Best to reboot at this point and then you are done.

-END-

This has worked so far for me, and fixed the freezing issues related to DCOM/RuntimeBroker.

Here are the links and references. Thanks to the awesome guys, JSiepmann & lx07, who shared this solution! Good luck!

P.S. Not for the faint-hearted

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rant-local-activation?forum=win10itprogeneral

Windows 10 Event ID 10010 and 10016 Errors With DistributedCOM - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Attachments

• PowerShell Script for RuntimeBroker.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 48

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12