Surface Pro 4 / Lumia 950 XL : two month later

thierrysanson

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I got a brand new surface pro 4 in early december, replacing my surface pro 3. While the hardware is a welcome upgrade from the previous version of the Surface Pro, the software part still looks like beta to me. We are in february, month after the hardware was sold and i still experience constant crashes of the intel video drivers and power management is a hell.

My surface IS my laptop, I use it everyday for work. What I have experienced so far despite all the updates (I'm not using Insider updates):
- Wake up from sleep works only from time to time, most of the time the screen remains off I'm obliged to turn off and on the Surface
- Office 2016 do not scale well : when moving the desktop office 2016 app (outlook, word, whatever) to a secondary monitor, things looks slightly blured. File Explorer looks fine in comparison. This is a strange behaviour.
- I still have messages the says the display driver recovered from a crash
- When playing online video using edge (and without flash) sometimes the video controls "tremble"
- Random loss of Wifi or switch to limited mode (no internet) without any reason (nearby iPad works well)

Same goes with my Lumia 950 XL double sim :
- constant loss of signal / wifi
- edge or 3g connection when nearby iPhone works on 4g on same network
- no visual voice mail

All in all I'm very disapointed in the quality of the sofware and the apparent lack of fixes in reasonable time. The hardware is very nice, but is plagued with issues that taints the overall user experience. I find it sad. I hope Microsoft will wake up and really fix their stuff fast.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
That's funny, I had many of these issues, but they have all been fixed.... I mean, My device USED to take a while to wake up from, and now every time I open the type cover I hit a couple of keys and with seconds it turns on. Display driver never crashes. I've never seen the trembling you mention. I did have loss of wifi, and it wouldn't come on for like 15 minutes. Just shutting down for a while brings it back, but I haven't had this issue in a while... It always happened after syncing and downloading GB and GB of data (like syncing my entire picture / document / music libraries).

have you considered exchanging your device?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99