I recently tried connewith the Apple superdrive, and although it showed up under devices, it did not allow me to put in CD's. I have read that the USB does not supply a high enough voltage to be able to power an external DVD drive, though there many people who say it can. Is there a particular product that has worked for you on the surface pro 4, and could you supply the name of the product or web link?
    02-18-2016 09:40 PM
    I recently tried connewith the Apple superdrive, and although it showed up under devices, it did not allow me to put in CD's. I have read that the USB does not supply a high enough voltage to be able to power an external DVD drive, though there many people who say it can. Is there a particular product that has worked for you on the surface pro 4, and could you supply the name of the product or web link?
    I've just tested my Samsung brand DVD reader/burner. Worked with both music CD's and data DVD's.
    Model is: Samsung Portable DVD Write SE-208.
    02-21-2016 03:58 AM
    I've just tested my Samsung brand DVD reader/burner. Worked with both music CD's and data DVD's.
    Model is: Samsung Portable DVD Write SE-208.
    I have same model as you and it worked great with a single USB plug powering it.

Some other models rely on a Y power cable which I guess would work with the USB port on the charger?
    02-21-2016 05:05 AM