Random BSODS since latest major update, unusable

Smoker1984

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello

I haven't used my Surface 4 between 17th and 21st of february. I came home 21st february and there was a major update, then I noticed on the 22nd there had been an Intel HD graphics update. Since then I keep randomly getting BSODS with the message CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

It can happen at any time, while just idling, browsing or watching videos. The maximum time Im able to use the Surface is about 5 minutes, but the crash can happen at any time after a hard reboot. When it hangs I need to powercycle or wait for the blue screen to restart, then it boots into UEFI and I need to press the Exit button from there.

Before the update I had almost 0 issues with my Surface.
I have tried uninstalling the update but the BSODS keep coming.

Anyone else got issues like this? Should I wait for updates or should I try the Intel beta driver, or should I reinstall the whole Surface? I don't even think it will give me enough time for a reinstall before it will crash.

Mikeman

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
This is the first post I have read where someone has had issues, but I doubt the last. I have been doing PCs / IT etc for about 25 years. I would recommend that if you can.....Re-install the updates. You can download them directly from the Microsoft website. I think the 5 minutes you have of run time would be sufficient to install the updates. I hope this helps - this is what I would attempt. It sounds as though your installation got corrupted.

Smoker1984

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I have tried re-installing the updates but unfortunately it didn't make a difference. The thing is I'm seeing posts pop up on Reddit about the same issue, so I guess I'm not alone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss