Hi all,

My daughter's school requires that I purchase her a surface pro 3 or 4 for September. I've decided on which model and was curious as to whether you think its better to purchase now with the current promotion of 100 dollars off or wait until the back to school promotions. I am not familiar with Microsoft products and as such don't know what the typical sale/promotions include. If i buy now I will get 10% off (educational discount) of the sale price. Do you think there will be a better deal closer to September based on promotions in the past?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated it.

thanks.
    02-25-2016 09:44 AM
    Originally posted by ROSES5682
    Hi all,

My daughter's school requires that I purchase her a surface pro 3 or 4 for September. I've decided on which model and was curious as to whether you think its better to purchase now with the current promotion of 100 dollars off or wait until the back to school promotions. I am not familiar with Microsoft products and as such don't know what the typical sale/promotions include. If i buy now I will get 10% off (educational discount) of the sale price. Do you think there will be a better deal closer to September based on promotions in the past?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated it.

thanks.

Without revealing too much if uncomforting, what school requires a Surface Pro? That's wicked neat!

To answer your question, I don't remember too many great sales for back to school with the Surface. One thing to keep in mind though is that the 10% discount will yield a bigger discount than $100 for any purchase over $1000 (which is most surface purchases).
    02-25-2016 10:24 AM
    Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was wondering. I was told by Microsoft that I could get 10% of the current sale price so it would be the 100 dollars off plus an additional 10% which I thought was a great deal but didn't know if it would be better to hold out. I was also told that windows 10 was just realeased so most likely there wont be a software or hardware upgrade before September.

She attends an independent school in the Boston area.
    sholokov likes this.
    02-25-2016 10:40 AM
    I was told by Msoft that you could not stack the 10% and the $100 off, though have been told that local stores may do this differently than the online one.
    Windows 10 was released in July of last year, and there are some bugs, but the biggest ones people complain about are the firmware issues for the Surface Pro 4 that caused display and battery issues. To my knowledge (you might browse around the forums a bit) both of these are supposedly fixed now. Hardware wise yes the Surface pro "5" (if it exists) will likely come out in fall, but Msoft is dedicated to the Surface line; software updates have been coming and will keep going!

Cool to hear. Last semester at my university I saw only two other Surface tablets in the wild, this semester I've seen them all over the place; it is cool to see them getting popular.
    02-25-2016 12:58 PM
    Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was wondering. I was told by Microsoft that I could get 10% of the current sale price so it would be the 100 dollars off plus an additional 10% which I thought was a great deal but didn't know if it would be better to hold out. I was also told that windows 10 was just realeased so most likely there wont be a software or hardware upgrade before September.

She attends an independent school in the Boston area.

go to dells business website, and tell them that you can get the surface pro for 1199 + 10% off, which comes to about 1095 dollars, they will match it almost no quesitons asked. Then, call them about 5 days later and say you want to cancel the order, they will offer you 75 bucks to keep it, bringing the total down to about 1k ( not including tax ), you won't get a better deal than that -ever-. Once you receive it, call them and say you want to return it, then they will likely offer you another 75 to keep it, bringing your total down to even another 75. if you get dell credit, they will give you 100 dollars back in the form of a gift card, AND give you an ADDITIONAL 10% off. I know this because I got an I5 8GB ram, 256GB SSD in the mail yesterday, and when it was all said and done, I ended up paying $999 :)
    02-25-2016 11:05 PM
    go to dells business website, and tell them that you can get the surface pro for 1199 + 10% off, which comes to about 1095 dollars, they will match it almost no quesitons asked. Then, call them about 5 days later and say you want to cancel the order, they will offer you 75 bucks to keep it, bringing the total down to about 1k ( not including tax ), you won't get a better deal than that -ever-. Once you receive it, call them and say you want to return it, then they will likely offer you another 75 to keep it, bringing your total down to even another 75. if you get dell credit, they will give you 100 dollars back in the form of a gift card, AND give you an ADDITIONAL 10% off. I know this because I got an I5 8GB ram, 256GB SSD in the mail yesterday, and when it was all said and done, I ended up paying $999 :)

Doesn't hurt to try thanks for the tip.
    02-26-2016 11:27 AM
    I just got my core m today and so far I love it no complaints yet. I got my at best buy for 748 with tax's I should them the page from micro center where they have it at 699 you can get it from them to I did not want to wait.
    02-27-2016 01:01 AM
    If you go to bestbuy site then click on deals tab, then student tech center. Your daughter can sign up for tech coupons. They send them everymonth via email. Last month i want to say it $150 off select surface pro models, i chose the sp3 which at the time was ALREADY on sale at bestbuy. Ended up getting sp3, 128gb i3 model for only 499 before tax. ....

I have an sp4 now though. Not sure if i got a bad one or if sp3 issue. But i had to return it because it gave me system recovery 2xs within a month. And i only use it for school work, which is all online. The convenience of the surface pro is what attracts us college kids. Its lightweight, and small, but not so small that your squinting at your screen, and the light up keyboard is my fav part.
    ROSES5682 likes this.
    02-28-2016 07:24 AM
    "Best time to purchase surface pro 4"

A few months after the Surface Pro 5 hits. Honest answer.
    ROSES5682 likes this.
    03-01-2016 05:54 AM
    Without revealing too much if uncomforting, what school requires a Surface Pro? That's wicked neat!
    To say the school "requires" the student to purchase a tablet, is anything but "neat". If the school "requires" a certain computer, they should provide it. Otherwise they could "recommend" a tablet, while stating other tablets would suffice.
    Delirious D likes this.
    03-01-2016 07:51 AM
    "Best time to purchase surface pro 4"

A few months after the Surface Pro 5 hits. Honest answer.
    haha so true!
    03-01-2016 01:28 PM
    I didn't say requiring something is neat, I said requiring a Surface is neat. Regardless of the merits of technological requirements, they exist, and I find it exciting that the Surface has gained enough traction for someone to consider it in that way.
    03-02-2016 12:08 AM