Which Model Should I Get?

Fred Tam

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
hey everyone, i'm about to get a new laptop and i'm really not sure what to choose from.

i'm currently stuck between these choices (Listed in Canadian Dollars)
Surface Pro 4 (Core M3 Base model): $1179
Razer Blade Stealth (base model): $1349
Dell XPS 13 (base model): $1349
Macbook Air 13 (base model): $1199
Macbook Pro 13 (base model): $1549

My initial thought was to get the Surface because I had a Surface 2 and briefly a Surface Pro 3 and i love the damn thing!

I'm looking at all these machines with the Canadian dollar in mind, so they can be quite expensive. My budget is limited, so spending less is better for me (Not the ultimate deciding factor, as I can hold out and save a bit more). Mind you, the SP4 is about the same as the Stealth/XPS13 with the purchase of the Type Cover (In Canadian Dollars).

My main focus is to use the machine for Photoshop. I don't really need to pen input, but having a touchscreen is nice (base model Stealth and the Surface line have this). I don't edit huge files, approximately 1000 x 1000 max but that's where i spend most of my time during the day. In the background i usually listen to music through youtube and typing a word document. Battery life is a huge deciding factor, hence the Macbook consideration. Seldom do i use the computer for social media or games.

The Stealth and the XPS 13 both have the USB-C port so it's more futureproof I think. I can use either Windows 10 or Mac OSX, but I like to use the Windows shortcuts to snap my windows side by side (Although I'm not sure whether or not I would use it on the limited screen real estate).

Between the XPS13 and the Stealth, the Stealth has a core i7 and a QHD screen so that's really nice on the Stealth's part.

At first it was either the Macbook Air 13 or the SP4 but the Air's screen resolution is just too low.. but since I'm always out and about I thought the battery life from the Air would be quite useful.

I decided to ask you guys here since my preferred device is the Surface Pro 4, but do you guys think the Core M3 version is enough for me to run Photoshop smoothly? Also wondering about the new Windows updates and if they have fixed most of the issues plaguing the Surface Pro/Book lineups. I also live in an area where there are lots of Microsoft and Apple Stores if I needed help with anything.

Really, SP4 is my first choice, but I'm just concerned about the Sleep Wake functions and the battery draining issues if they exist. My SP3 was returned after a week because i couldn't turn it on after it went to sleep, and the battery life was horrible. I'm also concerned about the Core M3 for everyday use. I've also had the Macbook Air but it was sold because I was in a tough spot. The battery life on that thing was insane!

Any help is appreciated! :)

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Anything but the Surface. The amount of bugs and hardwares issue, especially since this is the 4th version, is unsat at best.

Fred Tam

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Anything but the Surface. The amount of bugs and hardwares issue, especially since this is the 4th version, is unsat at best.

That is really unfortunate. I was expecting them to have ironed out a lot of the bugs at this point. I may look into the XPS 13 or the Air 13" since the Blade Stealth gets really fingerprint-y and i'm not sure how the black paint would look after a long period of time.

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

The problem as i see it is that there is alot of people with different problems with the SP4.
And some that has none.
After i did a full reinstallation on my SP4 i have no problems at all.
So if you get one with hardware problem you will probably hate it.
But if you get a flawless one you might love it.
I'm one of the lucky ones.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I love my Surface Pro 4 and can't imagine owning any other laptop. I still have my Acer S7 with Haswell but I prefer my Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 4.

I'm an extensive Photoshop and Illustrator user and the pen does come in real handy in many situations.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Picked up a second SP4 i7 8GB/256GB with Iris graphics thanks to the recent sale $150 off plus an Xbox One game controller plus the Windows wireless adapter.

Order still being processed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes