Teamviewer issues with Surface Pro 4

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with Teamviewer on the Surface Pro 4? Specifically, trying to remote in unattended to the Surface after it's been locked once the screen shuts off.

Whenever I try to do so, the connection freezes and I notice the Surface actually drops off the network for a few minutes.

Mikeman

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I run TeamViewer with remote unattended enabled and I get no errors after its locked. Now if the screen shuts off, the machine may be in SLEEP or Hibernate, in which you cannot initialize the machine. However there are settings within TeamViewer that will allow you to wake the machine once in sleep, or hibernate, but you additionally have to make sure your network card is set to allow the network card to wake the device. I am not sure if the BIOS will allow this event as well, but from what I've seen I seriously doubt it. Check the picture to get you started, more assistance is if course found on the TeamViewer Website - Hope this Helps Capture.PNG

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I've actually disabled sleep & hibernate when the Surface is connected to AC power. I am using an external monitor (and set to display only on that monitor).

Teamviewer support can't seem to reproduce the issue either, though I'm not sure if they had an external display attached. I did also do a full reset of the Surface (wiped everything) so if it's not related to the external monitor being connected I'm officially at a loss.

Thanks though for the info on waking a computer remotely - I use Teamviewer to remote into my parents' computer to do updates and such, and being able to wake it remotely would be nice

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Well, I figured out what's causing my issue. Apparently it's something with a Samknows device used for monitoring my Internet bandwidth.

They say that unit wasn't supposed to affect things, but seeing as though disconnecting that unit resolves things, I guess I found a case that says otherwise.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Turns out that wasn't the solution.... Dropped out again this evening. :(

5GHz issue perhaps? Pretty much grasping at straws right now, but may grab a USB Ethernet adapter to rule out WiFi issues - though my router is on the same desk as the Surface so I really don't know.

Everything about this problem just seems so bizarre, but I'll definitely provide more feedback as I can. I know how annoying it is to find a thread abandoned later with no resolution.

theghost440

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same issue, only with my SP3.

Setup information:
SP3 with W10
Using new Surface Dock
Ethernet connected via dock
2nd monitor attached via dock

From what I can tell, it seems the issue only happens when the SP3 goes into Connected Standby. I have no issue connecting otherwise (even when the screen turns off, there's period of time between screen off and connected standby).

timwo

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
You are definitely not alone. I just picked up a Surface Pro 4 and am experiencing the same issue. Issue occurs both on WiFi and when connected via Ethernet cable and a docking station. I have the Surface configured to never sleep while plugged in. Problem happens when connected to an external monitor or when surface is alone. Running version 11.0.62308 of TeamViewer.

timwo

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
This seems to be a quick way to reproduce the problem (I'm doing this with the Surface in front of me at my usual remote machine):
-connect to Surface via TeamViewer
-disconnect the remote machine. Surface lock screen appears.
-wait about 30 seconds for the Surface lock screen to go away (screen goes black on Surface).
-try to reconnect
-Surface will briefly display the lock screen (nothing shows on remote machine) and TeamViewer tries to connect. Connection will fail, stuck on "Initializing display parameters.
-After a minute or so, TeamViewer shows the Surface as offline
(Connection lost, reconnecting...) and then (Error Code:WaitforConnectFailed)

So, it seems like the Surface is going into a state from the lock screen that prevents TeamViewer from connecting. I tried disabling Windows Hello but that made no difference.

Last edited:

timwo

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth, this does *not* seem to be a problem using Windows Remote Desktop. I can follow these same steps, connecting via Remote Desktop multiple times, and the Surface does not go into the "unwakeable state". But the problem is 100% reproducible with TeamViewer.

Runner Turtle

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm having a similar problem with connecting to a Surface Pro 4. I can connect no problems, but I will get maybe 2-3 keystrokes/mouse clicks before the screen freezes. The SP4 doesn't actually freeze, as the user can see the windows, etc opening but I can't. I have to disconnect/reconnect to see the latest screen image and repeat the above process.

Client uses a dongle for internet connection (no landline). Interestingly, he has another small computer (windows 10) which I can connect to OK albeit it is slower than normal.

I've set the 'optimize for speed' option but nothing seems to help. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, know a fix?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12