How do I transfer programs and data from one Surface to another Surface?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How do I transfer programs and data from one Surface to another Surface

In recent days Microsoft sent me a new Surface 4 Pro to replace my current Surface 4 Pro because of problems that I was having with the old one. Now I need to transfer all the programs and file and folders from one Surface to the other. Where can I find the "how to do it"?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: How do I transfer programs and data from one Surface to another Surface

I would be addressing your tablet as "device" so that any person, who visits this thread, can relate to it.

You can copy/paste your programs' files from one device to another but it is not at all recommended as not all of them may work on your new device. Install them afresh as it ensures their compatibility with the new hardware that came with your new device.

For the files and folders, you need an external USB hard drive to transfer them from your old device to the new one. Or you can set up (map) a wireless network drive using WiFi, if available, so that you can access the files on your older device from your new device and copy them to your new device over WiFi. This article from Microsoft will help you with it:- Networking home computers running different versions of Windows - Windows Help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism