A few questions about the Sp4 !

Ozozuz

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to buy the sp4 but before that i have a few questions for you guys ! c:

First of all, i've found a good offert from a local reseller for the i5 4gb ram version, well ... I am concerned that 4 gb are not enough, i have a very powerfull desktop so i don't need to do some hard work on the suface but for this price i want a "smooth af" experience.
I'll need to code a lot on the sp4, run a virtual machine w/out hearing the fan is a must to me

The fan, mhh, What about the fan ? I have to expect to hear it while watching a streaming video like twitch, popcorntime or during daily browsing ?

I'll be able to play some light game on it ? Like binding of isaac, enter the gungeon etc ? "you know, free time during university u.u"

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
8GB is the way to go. I had a 4GB SP3 and promptly upgraded to a 8GB version. The fan kept coming on the 4GB version quite frequently. Good luck.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have zero problems with my 4GB for what I use it for. The fan kicked on often from the time I bought it until the last driver updates in mid-April. Since the last drivers were installed, I don't think my fan has turned on once, whether I'm surfing, working, or watching Netflix. (I also can't see why you'd have a difference in the fan between the 4GB and 8GB version. Running out of RAM simply slows things down as it shifts memory onto virtual memory on the SSD - I suppose that might be slightly more CPU-intensive, but I imagine that a general slowdown would be more likely than having the fan ramp up.)

I have a desktop at home and a 16GB laptop at work that I use to run my Adobe design software, and I generally keep my Surface running fairly lightly more due to battery concerns than RAM ones. That said, I do have Adobe software on the 4GB SP4, and I use it from time to time without issue. I say all that to say this: I'm a RAM-intensive person, and for my work, 16GB is the minimum. Because of the price tiers, however, and because I was going to use the Surface as a go-between device, the 4GB has never once been an issue or slowed me down (or caused my fan to ramp up, that I know of).

Ozozuz

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I have zero problems with my 4GB for what I use it for. The fan kicked on often from the time I bought it until the last driver updates in mid-April. Since the last drivers were installed, I don't think my fan has turned on once, whether I'm surfing, working, or watching Netflix. (I also can't see why you'd have a difference in the fan between the 4GB and 8GB version. Running out of RAM simply slows things down as it shifts memory onto virtual memory on the SSD - I suppose that might be slightly more CPU-intensive, but I imagine that a general slowdown would be more likely than having the fan ramp up.)

I have a desktop at home and a 16GB laptop at work that I use to run my Adobe design software, and I generally keep my Surface running fairly lightly more due to battery concerns than RAM ones. That said, I do have Adobe software on the 4GB SP4, and I use it from time to time without issue. I say all that to say this: I'm a RAM-intensive person, and for my work, 16GB is the minimum. Because of the price tiers, however, and because I was going to use the Surface as a go-between device, the 4GB has never once been an issue or slowed me down (or caused my fan to ramp up, that I know of).

Yeah, me too but since my english is kinda awful, i was not sure I understand his answer. ^^
My main concern is to have to hear the fan even while i'm not doing any demanding stuff, for example, hearing the fan while watching a stream on twitch.tv is enought for me to do not buy the sp4 !
That's why i want to be sure

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you can always throttle the SP4 so that the fan doesn't kick in as often. The cooling system is very aggressive. There is a thread on how to throttle the SP4.

Ozozuz

May 5, 2016
Visit site
you can always throttle the SP4 so that the fan doesn't kick in as often. The cooling system is very aggressive. There is a thread on how to throttle the SP4.

Do you think that going for the m3 version instead of the i5 would be the same ? Or i'll may miss to much "horse-power" ?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
if you're coding a lot and using virtual machines, I'd go for the i5 if you can afford it.

I'm a neophyte programmer as a hobby. When I would add code, I would immediately compile and test. Compiling always takes time and it adds up over time for bigger projects.

Everyone has different tolerances for how fast a machine is. A lot of people are happy with Core M and you might be one of them. But if you can squeeze the budget a little bit and want to keep the machine for a longer time, go for the regular Core processors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo