Power button: Slide down to shut down your PC?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

I know some things about computers and tech in general, but this thing has been bothering me for some time now.

Pressing the power button has always been set to hibernate on both battery and power, and now when i press it, it slides down the lock screen half way saying: pull down to shut down. What is the problem here and how do i fix this? I tried changing the function to sleep and it still won't work... I am not an insider on this one.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Thanks

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Go to Power Settings in the Control Panel. There on the left side you have an option like "Choose what happens if the power button is pressed" (I doesn't have an english Windows version). Click it. Then you can choose what you want.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Go to Power Settings in the Control Panel. There on the left side you have an option like "Choose what happens if the power button is pressed" (I doesn't have an english Windows version). Click it. Then you can choose what you want.

This is all ok since the beginning, but the button still doesn't work as it should...

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Weird... are you on an Insider build? Because I am on an Insider build and Connected Standby sometimes doesn't work and puts my SP3 in hibernation instead. Maybe there is a bug in the OS?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Weird... are you on an Insider build? Because I am on an Insider build and Connected Standby sometimes doesn't work and puts my SP3 in hibernation instead. Maybe there is a bug in the OS?

Nope. No insider stuff on my surface... Well the thing was working as it should until recently, but now it has problems for no good reason. Not really sure why it stopped working all of a sudden.

What else can i try?

hananaeniorxx

Aug 21, 2017
Visit site

I'm having the same issue but I do have an insider build. Any idea what I can do? My volume button was also screenshotting (volume up) and something else for volume down too (can't remember now) but that has stopped.

EDIT: I thought I did have an Insider build but after looking in settings I may not.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the buttons got dirty under, and then there is the pressed command not just clicked (hope u understand me). How can it be cleaned? I dunno, pretty sure it is close to impossible.

John Jackson15

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
are you just pressing the button and letting go or are you holding the button down for a few seconds? just tap it to put it to sleep, press and hold a short time will bring the slide down screen.

bballhawk

Apr 28, 2018
Visit site
Same issue here, kinda annoying persisted for a while .... Holding down the power button and the volume up button until the SP4 shuts down fixed it for me.
Hope it stays fixed

camckay

Mar 6, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys.

I know some things about computers and tech in general, but this thing has been bothering me for some time now.

Pressing the power button has always been set to hibernate on both battery and power, and now when i press it, it slides down the lock screen half way saying: pull down to shut down. What is the problem here and how do i fix this? I tried changing the function to sleep and it still won't work... I am not an insider on this one.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Thanks

camckay

Mar 6, 2019
Visit site
I've had the same problem over the last day or so. I found it is something on my keyboard. unplug the keyboard, and it acts normal, as before. Slowly tap each key to find a stuck key....Wella! it works ok now. Problem seems to be with a stuck control key on keyboard. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb