My SP4 is not playing DVDs with an external drive even though it recognises the files?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My SP4 is not playing DVDs with an external drive even though it recognises the files

I've just bought an SP4 and I love it!! I have been using it with an Apple USB Superdrive, which has been fine for ripping CDs.

But now I'm trying to play a DVD - it recognises that it's a DVD and gives me a pop-up asking me what to do with it, but doesn't give VLC media player as an option to play it.

I've tried putting the DVD in whilst VLC is open but nothing happens - same with Windows Media Player, iTunes for Windows, and the Windows 10 Films & TV App.

If I go to the dvd in file explorer I can see the video files and if I right click on the .vob files to 'Open with' and choose Windows Media Player it just opens WMP but then nothing happens - the 'Open with' doesn't even give me the option of VLC player...

Help?! Thanks!!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: My SP4 is not playing DVDs with an external drive even though it recognises the files

I've just bought an SP4 and I love it!! I have been using it with an Apple USB Superdrive, which has been fine for ripping CDs.

But now I'm trying to play a DVD - it recognises that it's a DVD and gives me a pop-up asking me what to do with it, but doesn't give VLC media player as an option to play it.

I've tried putting the DVD in whilst VLC is open but nothing happens - same with Windows Media Player, iTunes for Windows, and the Windows 10 Films & TV App.

If I go to the dvd in file explorer I can see the video files and if I right click on the .vob files to 'Open with' and choose Windows Media Player it just opens WMP but then nothing happens - the 'Open with' doesn't even give me the option of VLC player...

Help?! Thanks!!!

workaround could be to copy the files to the sp4 and then try playing with vlc

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

timothyfrancisburke

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: My SP4 is not playing DVDs with an external drive even though it recognises the files

Hi Chintan, thanks for your reply. I've joined the site, as you suggested!

I tried copying the files to my sp4 but it didn't work - some of them copied, but then it was giving me messages saying I couldn't copy them because they were encrypted.

I've seen a few vidoes of people using the superdrive with dvd on windows 10 but not with sp4 - so it is working for some people! Any other ideas?

Would really like to be able to play DVDs on this!!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi Chintan, thanks for your reply. I've joined the site, as you suggested!

I tried copying the files to my sp4 but it didn't work - some of them copied, but then it was giving me messages saying I couldn't copy them because they were encrypted.

I've seen a few vidoes of people using the superdrive with dvd on windows 10 but not with sp4 - so it is working for some people! Any other ideas?

Would really like to be able to play DVDs on this!!

try a different DVD and see if it has the same behaviour

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi - yeah, I've tried quite a few... same with all of them...

Hi - yeah, I've tried quite a few... same with all of them...

Which VLC are you using? The one from the store?

If so, you need to get the "desktop" version. With this version it will give u the option to "Open with" when you right click.

Another option is to download "Handbrake". This will allow you to rip the dvd to mp4 files and would be playable.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon