SP4 post Anniversary Update

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing these issues:
1) Edge is much more unstable and crashes often
2) In Task Manager, "Task Manager" is the most CPU intensive process at around 6 - 15% CPU usage with little else running, ha!
3) Fans at idle are back
4) New startup service in task manager called "Surface Service" what does it do?

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing these issues:
1) Edge is much more unstable and crashes often
2) In Task Manager, "Task Manager" is the most CPU intensive process at around 6 - 15% CPU usage with little else running, ha!
3) Fans at idle are back
4) New startup service in task manager called "Surface Service" what does it do?

#2 I have noticed this as well. Though, it didn't seem to happen until the .10 update. Have seen it on 2 Surfaces.

becosemsaida

May 31, 2016
Visit site
~Well i took a look at mine:

Cold start, task manager: #1: AVG anti v?rus: 0%CPU, 6.3MB of memory; #2 Task Manager: 0% CPU, 13,8MB of memory.... Surface services: Surface integration servisse: 0% CPU and 1.2MB of memory.....

Using a 51% of memory (4Gb model, I5 processor) and 3% of CPU @ 2.2GHz.......

Edge in this takes up 18.5MB of memory and FF jumps to an unbelievable value of 220MB...... Wonder if Chrome is even worse as described several times. Will stick with Edge for a while ..... :)

Beco

Teacrot

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm having multiple issues after the update-
action center won't open sporadically.
Edge and Chrome crash, hang, slow to load often.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4 (i5/8GB/256) updated on Wednesday. Yesterday was my first full day of attempting to use it.

I'm getting stuff like:

- The "Set up OneDrive" notification not disappearing after waiting or even clicking to remove it.
- Edge being just about unusable with delays and lockups.
- The system will not allow any interaction with apps or program such as Outlook, Word, or even the start menu but the mouse is still active.
- The only way out of this stuff is to ctrl-alt-del to try and sign out.

Did they really test this stuff? I need to now make an appointment to travel 40 miles to a MS store to see if they can fix it.

pwscott

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Very smoooth here. Had ro remove, clean and reinstall Malwarebytes AntiExploit and need to re-enable pop up virtual keyboard. All good otherwise.

becosemsaida

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Starting day 3........

Laptop: only problem encountered was an app that was incompatible, no acceleration of CPU or GPU, no overheating or other strange behaviours.
Did lock the notification "part" once but solved itself.....

Surface: lower temps (same apps open) "snapier" boot-up, LESS batt time, cpu stuck at +2.XXGHz, RAM problems (??) ...... this is after 3 days...

I'm starting to think this was an update not intended for tablets, they just put ink on it and released it..... After Reading more about this update it seems to be with the help of the insiders from the program, i wonder how many were using a SP ???? . I will meet up with a friend later that has an older Windows tablet and see if he updated too.

Beco

Last edited:

Turbo Brian

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
ive noticed edge getting "stuck" on my desktop where links dont work and it wont close; have to kill it in task manager. On both my SP4's the CPU stays at max clocks (one is i7, the other m3) and wont downclock/speedstep to lower frequencies at idle. there is no load keeping the clocks high. there's others on reddit reporting the same. didnt have this problem on insider builds. reportedly, a reset fixes it but im hoping MS can patch it so i dont have to reset. yesterday, i did have problems with the pen on the i7 sp4 not wanting to open the windows ink center or whatever its called. pen button did nothing. reboot fixed it. otherwise, its been running great.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4 (i5/8GB/256) updated on Wednesday. Yesterday was my first full day of attempting to use it.

I'm getting stuff like:

- The "Set up OneDrive" notification not disappearing after waiting or even clicking to remove it.
- Edge being just about unusable with delays and lockups.
- The system will not allow any interaction with apps or program such as Outlook, Word, or even the start menu but the mouse is still active.
- The only way out of this stuff is to ctrl-alt-del to try and sign out.

Did they really test this stuff? I need to now make an appointment to travel 40 miles to a MS store to see if they can fix it.
. I am having the exact issues you are having. I rolled back to previous version and all problems went away. The notification center in the update is laggy and horrible. Edge became unusable for me.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
ive noticed edge getting "stuck" on my desktop where links dont work and it wont close; have to kill it in task manager. On both my SP4's the CPU stays at max clocks (one is i7, the other m3) and wont downclock/speedstep to lower frequencies at idle. there is no load keeping the clocks high. there's others on reddit reporting the same. didnt have this problem on insider builds. reportedly, a reset fixes it but im hoping MS can patch it so i dont have to reset. yesterday, i did have problems with the pen on the i7 sp4 not wanting to open the windows ink center or whatever its called. pen button did nothing. reboot fixed it. otherwise, its been running great.

My SP4 Processor runs low. Especially on battery mode. like at .4 - .7ghz. I have the minimum processor state set to 5% but I think I'm going to increase it because when in battery mode it could seem a little slower. It's almost like if when i'm doing things, the processor does not speed up. Or could just be by brain messing with me.

With regards to inkspace, I've noticed that it's not working properly. It's great but a lot of the times, like you mentioned, it stops working. Majority of the times it's after I use it. Eg. use the pen to launch screen sketch, save my sketch.... Try to use it again and it does not work. Does not launch from pen and does not launch from task bar. Restarting surface pro fixes it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Using the mouse scroll reel to click which is supposed to open links in a new tab, it's hit and miss. Sometimes I do it and nothing happens. sometimes I have to really press it. ugh. annoying. I use that a lot.

jkarwow

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
One issue with AU on my SP4 that may be operator error. I simply cannot get the email badge to show in my taskbar. Perhaps the problem is that I am using a Gmail account.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Edge is totally horrible. Keep getting messages that flash has crashed., etc. When starts acting up have to reboot and fixes for awhile then starts again. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99