Macbook Air to Surface Pro- Help needed

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Mid 2013 Macbook Air. It has 8GB ram and 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache. Which of the Surface Pro machines would match it in performance for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Light video editing?
Best I can tell this is the 4th generation Haswell chip.Thanks!

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Mid 2013 Macbook Air. It has 8GB ram and 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache. Which of the Surface Pro machines would match it in performance for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Light video editing?
Best I can tell this is the 4th generation Haswell chip.Thanks!
surface pro 3 is haswell, surface pro 4 is broadwell which is far more powerful then haswell. faster, better battery and more graphical power

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
And the Pro 4 (newest models) are Skylake. Generally, Skylake will have better performance per watt, so they are more power efficient, but actual processing capability will likely be close between recent generations (unless the clock speeds are different, which in this case difference is slight).

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Almost ready to do this. The troubles that people have with the Surface device scare me some. I've owned nothing but Macs for 20 years and basically they have been plug and play. No installing or updating drivers etc. Everything mostly just always works. Might just stay with my air until the Surface Pro 5...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason you wish to switch? The professional photographers I know use pretty much what you already have,

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My Macbook Air is fine for what I use it for. Mostly wanting an upgraded screen and really interested in touch screen and Pen. Would be interested in how pen use for photo editing and illustration works. Since I now use Google apps for most of the Apple software I used to use I no longer feel as tied to Apple. Plus Windows 10 finally looks like a windows version I can use. No real need to switch or upgrade right now other than I might like to see how the other half lives.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My Macbook Air is fine for what I use it for. Mostly wanting an upgraded screen and really interested in touch screen and Pen. Would be interested in how pen use for photo editing and illustration works. Since I now use Google apps for most of the Apple software I used to use I no longer feel as tied to Apple. Plus Windows 10 finally looks like a windows version I can use. No real need to switch or upgrade right now other than I might like to see how the other half lives.

OK I figured there was some reason but you hadn't given any in your original post. Seeing how the other half lives is certainly a good enough reason. I actively use products from Apple, Microsoft, and Google, and I'd hate to have it any other way. All have their strengths and weaknesses. I say use the strong products from each of them and it's a win win win! They all integrate so seamlessly anymore.

It is sort of interesting though that Google is the reason I feel most OK about the idea of switching....

Ha yes that is rather interesting. Google's bread and butter though has been Windows desktop. They are all over that.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I had a windows phone for a while. The lumia 1520. I really loved that phone and was heartbroken to give it up. The app ecosystem really got to me and the lack of Google integration made it unworkable in the end. The windows phone made me look at desktop windows again though. I really like the OS. If windows phone had the app ecosystem of Android I'd be all over it. Anyway, I may wait a bit to see what's up with the new Asus Transformer 3 Pro. If the price in the US is reasonable it could be a good alternative to a surface pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234