Windows Block 342 Malware?

MizWylie

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I somehow fell victim to the Windows Block 342 malware, which redirects me to a knock off Microsoft site telling me to call the lovely 1-800 number. The deets are, I'm on a damn $1400 Microsoft Surface Pro 4, using Chrome, and I was navigating the dang iMore page when this happened!

I used to have a MacBook Pro for years and years and upgraded to a Surface Pro for the tablet and Microsoft Pen capabilities and full Windows 10, and am way out of my league when it comes to malware and viruses. How do I prevent this malware from coming back without downloading the 12 virus/malware scanning software that was recommended to me by a friend?

I created a temporary buffer by blocking the website with Chrome's page block add-on, but I'm sure I'll be seeing it again.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Also give TrendMicro Housecall a shot in addition to Malwarebytes. It's a free utility from TrendMicro that is a free full scan run on demand tool. Works great

I like this one too. If you get any of these anti-malware tools, make sure you get them from the real websites. I just searched for your block 342 and the top results were a fake website trying to get people to install a fake Malwarebytes... who knows what trouble that will get people into!

Note also that Windows Defender, in the Anniversary update, has a button for 'offline scan'. This is a better scan then the active scanning as it works at a deeper level.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I only use the built in anti virus that comes with windows 10 along with Malwarebytes (paid version, lifetime license) and they both work well together. No need for me to pay for anything. But I thing the protection provided with windows theses days along with Malwarebytes (in my case) helps complete the protection package. The built in protection does not catch everything and that is where real time protection from Malwarebytes comes in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb