Bought the Surface Pro 4 special yesterday

bed269

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
As the title says I ordered the surface pro 4 yesterday.
For that size tablet it seemed like a really good price but I could be wrong. I was 20 minutes from cutoff on sale price when I ordered. Glad they are pacific time and I'm eastern.
My concern is with the surface pro it might be more than what I need. As in more computer than tablet.
I use an iPad Air 2 now. Had been looking at the iPad Pro 12.9 due to the bigger screen.
My question is can the surface pro be used just as a tablet like reading news and blogs and also watching videos?

TechZeke

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
As the title says I ordered the surface pro 4 yesterday.
For that size tablet it seemed like a really good price but I could be wrong. I was 20 minutes from cutoff on sale price when I ordered. Glad they are pacific time and I'm eastern.
My concern is with the surface pro it might be more than what I need. As in more computer than tablet.
I use an iPad Air 2 now. Had been looking at the iPad Pro 12.9 due to the bigger screen.
My question is can the surface pro be used just as a tablet like reading news and blogs and also watching videos?
I also came from an iPad Air 2.

Obviously for general tasks like that the iPad is going to be easier and more streamlined, but the Surface Pro 4 does it well enough in my experience. Not to mention you can use full desktop software with the type cover when you need it. Although the Surface is bigger and heavier than an Air 2, the SP4 is easier to use on your lap as a tablet because of the kick-stand.

Overall, I'm loving the device, I don't even need to carry around my 15" retina MacBook Pro most of time anymore. The SP4 does it all.

bed269

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Got my tracking number and it should be here Monday.
Looking forward to using it this weekend since I will be out of town doing the in law thing for four days.
Another quick question
Are you able to load iTunes on it and watch your movies from apple?

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, iTunes is there. Make sure that before you start using it as daily driver, update the OS to the current one, and update the apps as well. This way, you'd get a better experience since first time.

bed269

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
To my surprise they delivered it on Saturday. I'm actually using it now to reply.
iTunes loaded up and was able to watch a movie so that worked.
Two things I'm having to get used to is battery usage goes down quicker than I was used to but I'm guessing that's to be expected with the larger screen and a full OS in use.
Also using the browser instead of apps for directv, nytimes, washington post and other news sources. This isn't a bad thing just different.
Thanks again for the replies.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
To my surprise they delivered it on Saturday. I'm actually using it now to reply.
iTunes loaded up and was able to watch a movie so that worked.
Two things I'm having to get used to is battery usage goes down quicker than I was used to but I'm guessing that's to be expected with the larger screen and a full OS in use.
Also using the browser instead of apps for directv, nytimes, washington post and other news sources. This isn't a bad thing just different.
Thanks again for the replies.

What I've found out to improve battery life greatly is by following this guide: https://surfacetip.com/ultimate-tips-max-surface-pro-4-battery-life/

It quite changed the battery life I was averaging from 5-6 hours to 6-8 hours, definitely worth the 1-2 extra hours.

Also while browsing in tablet mode, it is easier to use Edge for navigating. If you prefer apps though, Flipboard/MSN News might do the trick (though you have to configure each to only display sources from the ones you like)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos