Brand New Surface Pro 4 (Stuck on repeating Surface logo loop)

WClark30

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I tried to hold the power button for 20 seconds. I also did that and the volume button method. None of it works. This is brand new! Wth?

What other fixes can I do? Will this happen every time or happen often? Should I just return?

Dub-J

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I had this same thing happen to me, I was so frustrated. I found a video on YouTube with some recommendations for this behavior.

I left it unplugged and in the reboot cycle overnight so that it would discharge the battery. In the morning, I had to press the power button multiple times until the battery icon popped up and the screen would no longer turn on. I threw it on the charger for about 20 minutes, hit the power button, and was good to go.

I had to download a bunch of updates, to include several firmware updates. Once this was complete, I ran a chkdsk in CMD to verify the SSD was good to go. No problems since.

Hopefully this helps, I know how frustrating it is to open your new toy and have this happen.

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am going on my 4th SP4 - two had issues of phantom touches on the screen opening apps and moving the cursor and one where it would just lock up completely requiring a reboot. Their quality control for SP4 is terrible. I have a SP3 which is great and runs like a champ. I would send it back and get another. I am not content with a high dollar system needing work-arounds to get running.

Mikeman

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I am going on my 4th SP4 - two had issues of phantom touches on the screen opening apps and moving the cursor and one where it would just lock up completely requiring a reboot. Their quality control for SP4 is terrible. I have a SP3 which is great and runs like a champ. I would send it back and get another. I am not content with a high dollar system needing work-arounds to get running.

Sadly enough you have hit the nail on the head - Microsoft should definitely remove the "Pro" from the title of the Surface. I periodically visit various Surface Forums in order to stay up to date / learn new things about my SP4 - and the overall topic(s) are "Work-Arounds, bugs & fixes, and overall utter frustration from hordes of users. Like an ID10T I ran out and bought my SP4, i7, 16Gb RAM machine the MOMENT they hit the shelves and since I live in Germany - I paid a HUGE Price $$$ for mine. Fortunately, I got the pick of the litter as I have had almost zero issues. In your case - I would have entered the BIOS and deleted the “Windows Boot Manager” file listed there and rebooted. For me, in the past, doing this has cleared up many of my boot issues on both my SP4 and other PC’s.
Overall the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 i7 is a beast of a tablet. I try not to gloat or judge – but sometimes when I end up in a Starbucks I take a look around at other folk’s machines. Sure there are some really nice rigs on the market– but the vast majority of them don’t allow you to remove the keyboard, grab the Pen, and go to town “Tablet Style” running an i7 and a decent amount of RAM. Sure - you can grab an Apple (sour) – but then you wind up in lock down town unless you JailBreak it, and even then your capabilities are limited – as well as your ability to update your IOS.
One thing I have found is that certain versions of Windows 10 don’t play well with the SP4. I found one that works well and I download the Windows 10 Update Tool that examines my PC and applies the updates. ( https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=WOjLO7ct ) So I don’t have to wait on my machine to update in what seems like a “Virtual Cue”. One thing that keeps my machine running well is I periodically download the SP4 Driver Package and reinstall the drivers etc. Since I am running a Samsung Solid State Drive I install the actual Samsung NVMe Driver from here….(Tool & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD ). I hope this helps, I feel your frustration – Sorry so long winded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99