Login screen on connected dual monitors; issues

DJohnson3

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
I’m having issues between my Surface Pro 4 and monitors. Here’s my set up:

Surface Pro 4 connected to a Surface Dock

Two Dell monitors connected to the Surface Dock (thru the mini display ports)

My settings on the surface are:

Screen – on battery turn off after 45 min
Screen – plugged in turn off after 1 hour

Sleep – on battery, sleep after 45 min
Sleep – plugged in, never sleep

So the issue I have is this: when I leave the computer, say for a long lunch or meeting, can come back, perhaps after more than an hour or two, I cannot get the Surface to show the login screen; the screen is blank on my Dell’s. My company requires that the computer be locked when we are not at our desks. I then notice that the Dell screen’s power button is not solid, but slowing flashing, as if the power is off or in a standby mode. I can’t use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the login. So, I open the Surface keyboard and the option to use CTRL-ALT-DEL is there and I can login, but it doesn’t “transfer” to the Dell monitors. I then disconnect my docking station from the Surface, wait a minute, reconnect and eventually get the login option on the Dells. If I reconnect too fast, sometimes the screens look like they are in “safe mode” with the extra-large icons, etc.

What setting am I missing which causes this to happen after an extend amount of time?

Thank you

Techno-Freak

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
From Elevated Command Prompt (Run as Administrator), get a sleepstudy report by executing: powercfg /sleepstudy
See the exported html file. If you see something of the sorts of 'Dozed' activity description (can't tell the exact text, not in front of my SP4 at the moment), it means the computer is saving power while you're away.
Under 'Power & Sleep' settings, there should be an option (assuming you have Windows 10 Anniversary Update): "Save me power when my device knows i'm away" If it is turned ON, turn if OFF and see if it makes a difference.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my sp4. However my monitor is connected direct via mini dp port, no dock.

When my surface screen turned off, once I returned to the computer, I could not wake it with the keyboard or mouse. I don't know why and it was annoying . I had to open the surface pro and login there and then close It again.

Even when I restarted the surface with it closed, when it booted up, the monitor would still be black. Again, I would have to open the surface pro and login on the surface and close it again.

Recently I had some issues with my sp4 (unrelated) and needed to reinstall windows. I did so and now everything is fine. Example, I left my surface closed all day (plugged in) and when I got home I just tapped a key on my Bluetooth keyboard and the monitor shows the log on screen.

Even if I restart it behaves normally and shows the log on screen on the monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans