Surface pro 4 or wait for surface pro 5

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm in the market for a new computer and I'm looking at the surface pro 4. There seems to be some good deals around and I'm wondering if that is because the surface pro 5 will be announced soon so should I pull the trigger or wait?

If there is a pro 5 around the corner when would it likely be launched and what differences do you think there would be?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
There really hasn't been many details come out yet about a release date. With the next big update being the creators update I would think that may focus on a new line of hardware or 'something different'.

If that's the case we may not see the Surface Pro 5 until the fall.

Honestly, with the great deals that are on right now and if it fits within the budget I would highly recommend jumping on one now.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, you know, if you wait for the SP5 announcement, there'll soon be rumours of an unknown SP6 before you know it, so better wait until the SP7 to be sure. /s

Ok, more seriously, I've got an SP4 (i7/16/256) and it's the best tech purchase I have ever made by far. It’s my first tablet, having resisted iOS/Android alternatives. I'm so happy with it and I'm so much more productive. I've fallen in love with Windows all over again and modern apps are suddenly more useful and interesting.

Don't wait, live your life and be content with your choices. If the SP5 was imminent (and by imminent I mean shipping to your door in days) and met your current needs even better, there could be some merit in waiting. Conversely, I would also expect the SP4's prices to drop, making that an even more compelling choice. Take the plunge, don't look back (or er, forward) and go for it, you won't regret it!

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I get what your saying in waiting.

I won't be using it as a tablet yet more of a portable laptop. Surfing, office work and digitizing of my movies will be my main use with it.

Do you think the i5 with 4gb of ram be enough for my needs?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I get what your saying in waiting.

I won't be using it as a tablet yet more of a portable laptop. Surfing, office work and digitizing of my movies will be my main use with it.

Do you think the i5 with 4gb of ram be enough for my needs?

It should be perfectly fine for those needs. As long as you're not doing anything crazy graphics intensive it should meet the needs.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If there is a pro 5 around the corner when would it likely be launched and what differences do you think there would be?

I from what's been released for the creator's update, and what we know/don't know for RS3, I think it's pretty safe to say that any new surface device probably won't be coming out till next year, when they can release it and have a mixed reality headset to go with it.

I could see msft doing a refresh to the SP4, similar to the surface book with a performance base. but I don't see it being overly different from the SP4.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have the Core m3 model and it's easily the best machine I've ever owned. It's a fantastic device and it works perfectly for what I use it for. Word, Visual Studio, Netflix, miscellaneous research, and some very light gaming. It does get a little hot and battery life could be better, but I couldn't be happier. With the great deals going on, I wouldn't wait for the Surface Pro 5. We aren't sure when it's coming so jump for the Pro 4 now, which we already know is a great device.

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well I pulled the trigger a few days ago and grabbed the i5 4gb model with a teal keyboard. Love the machine.

I'm having a few laggy and freezing moments when just surfing the internet and checking mail. Windows is all up to date. Do you think it's due to the 4gb of ram should I take it back and swap for the 8gb version??

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by chattoe
Well I pulled the trigger a few days ago and grabbed the i5 4gb model with a teal keyboard. Love the machine.

I'm having a few laggy and freezing moments when just surfing the internet and checking mail. Windows is all up to date. Do you think it's due to the 4gb of ram should I take it back and swap for the 8gb version??

The lag and freezing should sort itself out, if it's a new device then Windows has some background tasks that it has to complete such as indexing files.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I find Chrome less resource intensive these days. I just installed the creators update and I really want to use Edge, but SP4 heats up while using it. Right now one tab open in edge, this page, only edge open and 49% of my 8GB memory is being used. Weird.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I find Chrome less resource intensive these days. I just installed the creators update and I really want to use Edge, but SP4 heats up while using it. Right now one tab open in edge, this page, only edge open and 49% of my 8GB memory is being used. Weird.

Yeah Edge seems to have some issues with memory leaks or something as it definitely eats the resources and causes pretty decent battery drain at times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss