USB Type-C for Surface Power?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Microsoft may have a new USB Type-C port planned for the Surface. What do you think? Should Microsoft go that route? And are we going to see these changes on the Surface Pro 4 (via a refresh), or perhaps in a new Surface?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
This definitely is the way to go, because we are finally getting a standard for laptop/tablet chargers too. Downside is, that it isn't magnetic and that it will break backward compatibility (older chargers and docks).

Probably this will be a surface 4 pro refresh with new processors and new usb C port.

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I like the idea of it, since it makes charging with a battery bank easier, though I do like the magnetic port too. Would be cool if they could do both, though likely more expensive.

I saw reports too though from Mary Jo Foley saying it might just be the SP4 exact firm factor with Kaby lake.

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I still prefer surface connector. Most usb type c out there are just usb 3.1 in c form factor. To make all in one c portable (3.1, thunderbolt, power plug, etc etc) need more expensive chip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb