Is it possible to install Windows 10 S on Surface Pro 4

Parin Kaewdeewong

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have Surface Pro 4 128GB/4GB model, and I don't really use it to do some professional tasks. (Just browsing and creating documents. And I don't use Chrome)
So I think it would be a pretty good idea to have Windows 10 S in my Surface Pro 4. Am I gonna be able to install it? And will Windows 10 S increase performance, stability and battery life?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
As far as I understand it, the answer is............... No.

Microsoft offers schools presently running Win 10 pro free of charge switching to Win 10 S. But that offer is not for general public.

You cannot buy a Windows 10 S software and install onto your computer.
Only way to get Windows 10 S is to buy a computer pre-installed with Windows 10 S.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think you can't, but you can get similar effect if you have creators update installed and go to Apps and features under settings, where you can choose that you only allow apps from the Store.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have Surface Pro 4 128GB/4GB model, and I don't really use it to do some professional tasks. (Just browsing and creating documents. And I don't use Chrome)
So I think it would be a pretty good idea to have Windows 10 S in my Surface Pro 4. Am I gonna be able to install it? And will Windows 10 S increase performance, stability and battery life?

Nobody has done any benchmarks or under the hood analysis of windows s, unfortunately. So while MS claims it logins in, and runs apps faster than pro, we don't really know yet, how this is achieved, or matches to reality.

It cannot simply be only loading apps via the store that achieves these changes in speed logging in, for example.

And if it is true, I am not sure why MS wouldn't give the option to sidegrade to the OS, but they haven't yet said anything on the topic other than "schools can change to windows s, from home or pro, for free".

I guess we will find out, on both those scores as time goes on. I'm hoping for more detailed coverage on the topic from _somebody_.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I think the difference in resource usage would be about the same as between Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Ultimate: next to nothing.

In general, you're better off performing a clean install, although I don't know if that's something people do with SP4's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3