SP4 - 5th replacement develops fan fault

meoverhere1

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
So, some of you may remember this thread:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/m...-getting-mac-its-not-even-funny-new-post.html

I contributed noting I had multiple replacements for various faults including screen defects, and random crashing, and had just received device number 5 (yes, 5...) - it was looking okay.

Whoops - spoke too soon. Last week or so under high load when the fan is working hard, it sounds like the bearings are on the way out.

So I called up Microsoft again... no problem sir, have a replacement. That would be my sixth replacement - and I'm now dependent on the extended replacement warranty (3 months) rather than my original 12 months warranty, so I'm obviously nervous, given my experience so far.

So I ask for other options - as polite and helpful as the guy was on the phone, he could do nothing other than replace it with another refurb unit.

When I ask for escalation, I'm told that the only option is to write (yes, pen and paper, stamps etc...) to Microsoft Complaints at there Reading, UK Office..

Yup, one of the worlds largest tech companies will only accept complaints on paper (and I'm guessing the moment they arrive at the office, they will be digitised!)

I've tried calling all the numbers I can find labelled as complaints, but they all go through to the company Microsoft have outsourced general sales/tech enquiries too, who say the same - send a letter! - getting through to anyone in complaints (or even Microsoft rather than a 3rd party contractor) is impossible.

I still really like the surface pro 4 as a device (in theory), but my experience of it has been awful, and whilst Microsoft have never made getting it replaced difficult - it's been pretty fast and efficient - I'm sick of receiving refurbs which clearly are not up to spec - and now they are been extremely obstructive in resolving the issue.

I know there are many out there who have perfect SP4's that serve them well... I just want the same!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by meoverhere1
So, some of you may remember this thread:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/m...-getting-mac-its-not-even-funny-new-post.html

I contributed noting I had multiple replacements for various faults including screen defects, and random crashing, and had just received device number 5 (yes, 5...) - it was looking okay.

Whoops - spoke too soon. Last week or so under high load when the fan is working hard, it sounds like the bearings are on the way out.

So I called up Microsoft again... no problem sir, have a replacement. That would be my sixth replacement - and I'm now dependent on the extended replacement warranty (3 months) rather than my original 12 months warranty, so I'm obviously nervous, given my experience so far.

So I ask for other options - as polite and helpful as the guy was on the phone, he could do nothing other than replace it with another refurb unit.

When I ask for escalation, I'm told that the only option is to write (yes, pen and paper, stamps etc...) to Microsoft Complaints at there Reading, UK Office..

Yup, one of the worlds largest tech companies will only accept complaints on paper (and I'm guessing the moment they arrive at the office, they will be digitised!)

I've tried calling all the numbers I can find labelled as complaints, but they all go through to the company Microsoft have outsourced general sales/tech enquiries too, who say the same - send a letter! - getting through to anyone in complaints (or even Microsoft rather than a 3rd party contractor) is impossible.

I still really like the surface pro 4 as a device (in theory), but my experience of it has been awful, and whilst Microsoft have never made getting it replaced difficult - it's been pretty fast and efficient - I'm sick of receiving refurbs which clearly are not up to spec - and now they are been extremely obstructive in resolving the issue.

I know there are many out there who have perfect SP4's that serve them well... I just want the same!

I can't say I've had any of those issues, maybe I'm just lucky or it could be that I waited to get one so that major issues could be ironed out.

My guess is that they are sending you referbs that haven't been thoroughly tested, usually the case with outsourced support, rather than a brand new device. You need to insist that they provide you with a completely new device instead.

I assume you are in the UK, if you are then you might want to speak to the CAB to see what your rights are as a consumer.

meoverhere1

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I'd love to have access to the refurb unit history - just to see if the problems I am having are the same as what they where previously returned for. But of course, that's never going to happen! I wonder if that's why there was never had much resistance in swapping them... because they could see it was the same fault again. They always told me my problems where unheard of!

Anyway, I posted my letter yesterday - making my case for a new unit rather than a refurb, and got an email acknowledgement this morning - all very anonymous and vague... apparently a senior engineer from Microsoft Corporate will phone in the next 24 hours.

So watch this space... fingers crossed, I would love to be able to report back with a positive outcome.

meoverhere1

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Update time...

The day after I sent my letter I got a email acknowledgement (automated) and shortly after that a series of emails from someone at Microsofts global escalation services centre who was very helpful and was more than happy to work towards my goals of a brand new device instead of a refurb. It was a little tricky, since the SP4 stocks are low - but they tracked one down and had it with me within a few days. The faulty one will be returned in the next day or so, which has made transitioning between them easier and less disruptive.

It's taken a long time to get here - but I'm really hoping this is it... a happily ever after!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes