Surface Pro - expensive mistake?

stodge

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
Well that’s an expensive mistake. I’m sorry but this will sound like a troll but bear with me.

I played around with various Windows 10 based 2 in 1s at the store and stumbled across a Surface Pro bundle that includes the keyboard for a good price. So I picked it up. After two hours of updates it was ready so I started logging into th various sites that I use. Except I put the Surface away in frustration because the virtual keyboard just doesn’t work.

Let me explain. If I click the URL bar (tablet mode without the keyboard attached), the virtual keyboard doesn’t always appear. Sometimes I have to tap twice.

Once the page has loaded, the virtual keyboard doesn’t disappear, even though no input fields on the page are selected. So I have to close it manually.

When I try to log into a website (including this one), when I tap the username field, the keyboard doesn’t appear, even when I tap several times. When I tap the password field, it appears.

So basically the virtual keyboard doesn’t work consistently. A fundamental feature of a table doesn’t work. I wonder why this didn’t happen in the store.

I have 13 days to return it and currently there’s a 99% chance I’ll return it. Oh well, I tried! I even drove through a snowstorm to buy it. :)

I do love the form factor; the detachable keyboard is great and I love the size. I wanted something a bit bigger than the standard 9.7” tablet.

Unfortunately I don’t think Windows 10 works as a tablet OS. In my frustrated opinion. I use Win10 at work and I also have a Win10 laptop at home.

stodge

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
Another quirk is that I use the Google Hangouts webpage on my Win10 laptop at home. So I tried that on the Surface Pro but it doesn't work with the virtual keyboard in tablet mode. If I select a conversation and tap in the text input box, the virtual keyboard appears but the Hangouts page doesn't resize so the input box is hidden behind the virtual keyboard. I realise this is probably a fault with Google's webpage but it's 2018 and this kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It should just work.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Because MS no longer supports consumer devices...this is thier way of letting you know that....
Return it while you still can!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786