Well that’s an expensive mistake. I’m sorry but this will sound like a troll but bear with me.

I played around with various Windows 10 based 2 in 1s at the store and stumbled across a Surface Pro bundle that includes the keyboard for a good price. So I picked it up. After two hours of updates it was ready so I started logging into th various sites that I use. Except I put the Surface away in frustration because the virtual keyboard just doesn’t work.

Let me explain. If I click the URL bar (tablet mode without the keyboard attached), the virtual keyboard doesn’t always appear. Sometimes I have to tap twice.

Once the page has loaded, the virtual keyboard doesn’t disappear, even though no input fields on the page are selected. So I have to close it manually.

When I try to log into a website (including this one), when I tap the username field, the keyboard doesn’t appear, even when I tap several times. When I tap the password field, it appears.

So basically the virtual keyboard doesn’t work consistently. A fundamental feature of a table doesn’t work. I wonder why this didn’t happen in the store.

I have 13 days to return it and currently there’s a 99% chance I’ll return it. Oh well, I tried! I even drove through a snowstorm to buy it. :)

I do love the form factor; the detachable keyboard is great and I love the size. I wanted something a bit bigger than the standard 9.7” tablet.

Unfortunately I don’t think Windows 10 works as a tablet OS. In my frustrated opinion. I use Win10 at work and I also have a Win10 laptop at home.
    01-04-2018 09:40 PM
    After update, did u restart the device manually? I would do that first, then everything else.
    01-05-2018 08:03 AM
    After update, did u restart the device manually? I would do that first, then everything else.
    Good question. I don't know that I did. But would that really fix the virtual keyboard?

Thanks
    01-05-2018 08:09 AM
    Another quirk is that I use the Google Hangouts webpage on my Win10 laptop at home. So I tried that on the Surface Pro but it doesn't work with the virtual keyboard in tablet mode. If I select a conversation and tap in the text input box, the virtual keyboard appears but the Hangouts page doesn't resize so the input box is hidden behind the virtual keyboard. I realise this is probably a fault with Google's webpage but it's 2018 and this kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It should just work.
    Player Piano likes this.
    01-05-2018 10:58 AM
    Oh well, just avoid Google :D
    Oh yeah, which browser do u use?
    01-06-2018 04:01 PM
    Because MS no longer supports consumer devices...this is thier way of letting you know that....
    Return it while you still can!
    Timbre70 likes this.
    01-06-2018 05:13 PM
    I was using Edge and I already returned it.
    01-06-2018 05:56 PM
    Oops, I was confused. This topic should have been posted under the Surface Pro 2017 topic.
    01-11-2018 02:35 PM