No iris graphics

Torm558

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Am I missing something this year? Did the surface pro 6 get downgraded on the graphics this year? Microsoft site states the i7 comes with uhd graphics

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, thats why i went today on this Forum, I see im not alone who is scared.

So i7 version od Surface Pro 6 has not iris graphics. So its even less powerfull than 1,5yrs old SP2017. And differences in benchmark results are so big.

Very Sad

Jack Smith18

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Very disappointed also, sure the S pro 5 was no gaming machine but you could play most games at lower settings, not offering a iris option is a no go for me.
I’m not buying a S pro 6 with only UHD 620 graphics, no way!

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So here is something about differences https://technical.city/en/video/Iris-Plus-Graphics-640-vs-UHD-Graphics-620

You can see its big downgrade, and uhd620 is very weak for 2018, I don't know why they need to save up costs on their premium devices.
Im the biggest Surface fan in my country, But I wont buy this. Why i should downgrade. This is big disappointment.
And cpu performance is not as needed as gpu performance.

+ ZERO improvement in Windows tablet mode in last update. Its like they were sleeping for whole year

Torm558

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
This is really disappointing... I had been holding out on a surface pro purchase for when the quad cores would be introduced, I knew it was coming and suddenly they pull his crap? Just don’t get it

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
It applies to the surface laptop too. Basically it appears that in order to equip them with a quad core, the iris graphics haven't been included, or at least the iris graphics parts weren't selected.

Kind of silly because for that massive price premium, you really get no additional functionality. Not that the iris graphics really make a huge difference, but it allows the surface to have a chance at playing some games. However, if you're spending just on clock cycles, then the i7 now, is really a waste of money.

This upgrade cycle, is odd. No quantum leap at all, and I think the previous models re the better buy, again, if looking at the i7's.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
From Anandtech:
"The Iris option is no more though, but even if Microsoft had wanted to continue offering it, Intel no longer sells any 15-Watt CPUs in their current lineup with the Iris option. You’d have to move up to a 28-Watt model at the moment to be offered access."

Possibly blame Intel.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Additionally,

"In the synthetic 3DMark from UL Benchmarks, the Surface Pro 6’s extra CPU grunt helps it stay with the Iris equipped 2017 Surface Pro except in the least demanding tests, although on the most demanding GPU test, which is Fire Strike, the UHD 620 is well behind AMD’s Ryzen 7 in the same 15-Watt package."

"
When the game is set to its maximum settings at 1920x1080, the Iris GPU in last year’s Surface Pro 5 ends up throttling heavily and offering lower performance despite being a quicker GPU on paper. "

Wait... for the reviews. (Plus the review was for the i5 model, not the i7)

Last edited:

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea, that's a given to wait for the reviews.

Will be interesting nonetheless, however, I'm going to wager one internets that the iris graphics may play games better. The additional cycles between the CPU series, will only improve synthetic benchmarks. Real world applications will see marginal, and barely perceptible improvements.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Please see above:

"In the synthetic 3DMark from UL Benchmarks, the Surface Pro 6’s extra CPU grunt helps it stay with the Iris equipped 2017 Surface Pro except in the least demanding tests, although on the most demanding GPU test, which is Fire Strike, the UHD 620 is well behind AMD’s Ryzen 7 in the same 15-Watt package."

"
When the game is set to its maximum settings at 1920x1080, the Iris GPU in last year’s Surface Pro 5 ends up throttling heavily and offering lower performance despite being a quicker GPU on paper. "

P.s. It's a bit pointless really as we're hardly ever going to play GTA 5 without lowering to 720p :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon