Microsoft Edge for ARM

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So apparently this has arrived in the Canary channel.

I was able to get the Edge beta on the day I got the device though. I thought that was native.

Does this mean the one I installed was actually not the ARM native one?

#confused

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm guessing if you were to download the latest Canary version it would auto detect that you're on an ARM device?!?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/[/FONT]

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So I'm guessing if you were to download the latest Canary version it would auto detect that you're on an ARM device?!?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/[/FONT]
Same question.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
So apparently this has arrived in the Canary channel.

I was able to get the Edge beta on the day I got the device though. I thought that was native.

Does this mean the one I installed was actually not the ARM native one?

#confused

The Canary build will autodetect ARM and install that version. The Edge browser preinstalled is the old edge browser and is native Arm code, if you were using previous Chromium based betas they were running in emulation. The Canary build is a Chromium based Edge browser that is native ARM as well. You can also confirm the correct version is installed by visiting the About page for the browser once installed, it should now list '64-bit' Hopefully that helps clarify a little! I wonder what is causing crashing? After the Windows Updates yesterday I started having issues with Firefox and removed it, but so far this seems ok.

Last edited:

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So it's still crashing. After about a minute browsing it just closes.

Anyone else with a problem?

Back on the Edge Beta noncanary

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So it's still crashing. After about a minute browsing it just closes.

Anyone else with a problem?

Back on the Edge Beta noncanary
So I signed out of my profile and it is OK right now not crashing.

How to confirm this is the ARM one?

This is what I get under edge settings >about Microsoft Edge.
d97ca1a7241a1a3edce73f5348a81ea4.jpg

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So I signed out of my profile and it is OK right now not crashing.
How to confirm this is the ARM one?
This is what I get under edge settings >about Microsoft Edge.

Well the formula is easy, if it is 64 bit and it runs on the machine is must be ARM64 because the other 64 bit version (aka x64) would not run. Therefore the previous version, which need emulation, must have been 32 bit.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Well the formula is easy, if it is 64 bit and it runs on the machine is must be ARM64 because the other 64 bit version (aka x64) would not run. Therefore the previous version, which need emulation, must have been 32 bit.
True.

Didn't want to make any assumptions because I also assumed wrong when I downloaded the Edge Beta. (It ran but didn't realize it was in emulation)

This Canary just flies on the X!

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So can you guys confirm, that the official Microsoft Edge download (not Canary or Beta), when installed on the PRo X, is the one optimized for ARM?

Under the ABout page on Edge, it says 64-bit
Edge.jpg

WesleyAC

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
The latest Edge Chromium is definitely ARM64. As mentioned before if it says 64 bit and it is running on SPX, then it has to be ARM64.

I had one crash with the initial ARM64 release but there have been at least one update since then and it seems very stable and smooth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3