Surface 2/Pro 2 full details

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Asking opinions on the benefits of getting Pro 2 with 4Gb of RAM versus 8Gb of RAM. I can't think of any instance on my former machine where I used more than 4 Gb of RAM even under heavy application and/or game use. Worth it or no?

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have 4 gigs in my ultrabook now and it's not enough. Just open >10 tabs in Chrome and whoops, you're out of power.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I just question if it's overkill. I'm currently running the following apps below and only using 3.11 GB of RAM. I think one would have to be very heavily intensive to utilize close to 8Gb of RAM. And even then some machine performance severely degrades when it gets close to using ~80% of onboard RAM. *shrug* And for all the supposed faults of Windows, I think the OS does a good job in allocating and balancing memory.

Word
Excel
Outlook
MS Lync
Photoshop Lightroom 4
Active Directory
IE with 4 tabs
Chrome with 2 tabs
Tivoli Endpoint Manager
File Explorer
Acrobat 9 Pro
CMD window

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just question if it's overkill. I'm currently running the following apps below and only using 3.11 GB of RAM. I think one would have to be very heavily intensive to utilize close to 8Gb of RAM. And even then some machine performance severely degrades when it gets close to using ~80% of onboard RAM. *shrug* And for all the supposed faults of Windows, I think the OS does a good job in allocating and balancing memory.

Word
Excel
Outlook
MS Lync
Photoshop Lightroom 4
Active Directory
IE with 4 tabs
Chrome with 2 tabs
Tivoli Endpoint Manager
File Explorer
Acrobat 9 Pro
CMD window

Does your computer have 8gb of RAM traditionally, one a computer start getting close to it's limit, things start to get slightly slower.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Does your computer have 8gb of RAM traditionally, one a computer start getting close to it's limit, things start to get slightly slower.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
This machine has 4Gb of RAM. The 8Gb of RAM may be overkill for my needs it seems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6