What Surface Pro 2 model are you getting?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There are four configurations for the surface pro 2. Which are you getting? For me, I'm getting the 256GB model. I need more storage and ram.

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I went for the 256 also. Tbh i would have preferred the 128 as i prefer network/cloud storage, but i HAD to have 8gb of RAM.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
it's between the 64GB and 128GB models. Yes, it would definitely be amazing to have the 8GB and additional storage however they aren't major selling points. I consider 4GB RAM more than enough, and i could always extend the Storage later on or use my external HDD. I dont plan to rip movies or 100's of GB's of music, just use it for my music recording and sound engineering tools.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on the 4GB vs 8GB RAM? I'm considering just going Surface Pro 2 for all my mobile needs and getting rid of/sell my laptop and Surface RT, but am deciding between the 128 and 256 models (either SSD size will work for me, so it's mostly a RAM issue and "future proofing").

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can afford it - more ram the better. I went with the 256/8mb combo. Would love to go for the 512 but thats just too rich for my blood. I'm betting the 256/8 configuration will probably end up being the most popular.

I just wish (as others do I'm sure) the power type cover was being released at the same time. I've ordered the Type Cover 2 for now but will be ordering the Power Type Cover when it comes out as well - the additional battery power will come in very handy on those long trips.

The surface pro 2 will be replacing my 'old' Samsung Series 7 Slate which I just love - minus all the screen lift issues that plagued the tablet.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I only have access to the funds I made from my lifeguarding gig, and my Lumia 1020 purchase was hardly cheap. So, it will be the 128GB model for me. Combined with the tablet, the keyboard cover, insurance, getting a monitor, etc.

I think I'll be happy with it. 128GB should be enough storage, I can always buy a hard drive later on. As for the RAM, my current laptop has 4GB, and the Pro has better processors and more optimized OS than my current laptop, so I should be fine, especially since I find myself using legacy apps less and less often. In fact, I'd really like to save some money, but I'm using this as a replacement of my current laptop, not in addition to it. So as such, in order to use the rather few legacy apps I still find essential.

Disappointing, but I'll make the most of it and knock a big bang for my buck. I'm especially looking forward to that pen, the feature that turns off finger input when in close proximity is especially nice.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on the 4GB vs 8GB RAM? I'm considering just going Surface Pro 2 for all my mobile needs and getting rid of/sell my laptop and Surface RT, but am deciding between the 128 and 256 models (either SSD size will work for me, so it's mostly a RAM issue and "future proofing").
4GB is more than enough if you mostly plan on just juggling Win8 apps in the background. If you do heavy lifting on the desktop, or you plan on playing heavy games at max settings, 8GB is the way to go.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't afford a Surface 2 Pro, but if I had a choice, I'd go for the 512GB storage/8GB RAM model. I do this because I rely very heavily on multitasking, and I need a lot of space for all my files.
That and the fact that I'd like to play Civ 5 on touch.

Leahtt

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't afford a Surface 2 Pro, but if I had a choice, I'd go for the 512GB storage/8GB RAM model. I do this because I rely very heavily on multitasking, and I need a lot of space for all my files.
That and the fact that I'd like to play Civ 5 on touch.

Neither could I afford the large RAM etc.
I pre ordered a 128 4GB RAM model from a retailer (Noel Leeming) in NZ this morning.
It will meet my needs and some!

Last edited:

gr4z

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Here in the Uk I am going to order a 256gb model with type cover and will get the docking station when available. 8gb should allow the odd VM to run very well. Any know who will be stocking them to try it out in the UK? PC world? John Lewis? Thanks

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would love the 256GB version. 8GB of ram would be killer for cad on the go. But alas, I am cheap. I'll be picking up the 64GB version with a new touch cover.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I would love the 256GB version. 8GB of ram would be killer for cad on the go. But alas, I am cheap. I'll be picking up the 64GB version with a new touch cover.

I know what you mean, I wish the RAM and memory configurations were separate. I.E: you choose how much memory you want, and then can optionally include 8GB RAM for an additional $100. Alas, that is not the case, maybe for the Surface 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs