Surface Pro 2 Benchmark

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
1Ww3is4.png

Surface Pro 2 Benchmark thanks (nuprotocol)

Last edited:

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It seems to show either there was an issue in the test or a driver issue. 4k and 512k random speeds are both up but linear down drastically? I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for a drives random performance to exceed it's non-random (although this is an SSD, so who knows). That's got to be a glitch of some sort. Hopefully on the testing side, but if it's on the surface side I'd expect a patch or firmware fix.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this, but in reality those I/O numbers are still really good for a non-server system. It would be really hard to notice the difference even under a heavy workload. The small random I/O numbers are a lot better in Surface Pro 2 which makes me wonder if they made an intentional tradeoff on the sequential I/O to achieve a better balance. If not and if it is an issue with the system itself then it's likely something that can be fixed with a driver/firmware update.

Having said that, SSD drives can be finicky in benchmarks. Performance can drop of significantly for a period of time after repeated tests have been done. Also, SSD performance is reduced quite a bit once the drive reaches more than ~85% full. If this was a 64GB store model it's possible that either or both of these issues were a factor.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought MS claimed a 50% boost in graphics performance from the Pro (1) to Pro 2? Those numbers don't support that...

Pro (1): 3428.12
vs.
Pro 2: 4083.34

I'm only seeing around 19%

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
nuprotocol took the benchmark of the Surface Pro 2 from the Microsoft Store, i think. The Surface Pro benchmark is from my friend's unit, 64GB model.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought MS claimed a 50% boost in graphics performance from the Pro (1) to Pro 2? Those numbers don't support that...

Pro (1): 3428.12
vs.
Pro 2: 4083.34

I'm only seeing around 19%
This is probably the biggest stat I'm looking at. The Pro 1 was acceptable in pretty much all other areas for me to seriously consider the Pro 2 w/ docking station, etc. for a workstation replacement. I'm not a huge gamer, but I want a bit more GPU power than the Pro 1 had.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting find, thanks for posting.

A few of those numbers are a bit concerning, but hopefully it's just one of the aforementioned issues. And besides, still better performance than my current laptop, so I'll still take it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa