10-09-2013 02:56 PM
148 12345 ...
tools
    I have no issues with that strategy however what they are offering is counterintuitive to that end. They cannot hope to get a toehold in market share by having a weak sales/ marketing strategy backed by confusing product branding, and overpriced hardware that can run a handful of programs in a weak apps ecosystem.

The Pro is a joke because no one knows what it is. Is it a tablet? NO. Is it a laptop? NO. Is it expensive as hell? YES.

So hows that for marketing a product. Microsoft has a knack for muddying the waters...
    I would have to disagree with you here, the Surface Pro is not a joke, its faster than any Ultrabook out there with similar specs and similar price, its build quality destroys any other out there. Its on par with the MBA and that thing is truly a joke when it comes to price and features.....Horrible screen, no touchscreen, and of course OSX lol. The Surface Pro is not a TABLET, its an Ultrabook in the body of a tablet....Looks the the best of both worlds to me..
    Last edited by Daylife; 09-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Cleavitt76 and calfee20 like this.
    09-30-2013 02:39 PM
    To sum it up:

1) people claiming the author(term used loosely) makes love to his Apple products at night
    2) people saying they're never going to visit CNET again
    3) people yelling at CNET for its clear bias
    4) Apple fans trying to defend it, but gather no support (as shown by the fact that the pro-surface pro comments gather on average 7+ likes while the anti-surface pro comments have about 3 total between all of them
    5) misc - one guy said he's blocking all ads on CNET using adblock. Another guy emailed the editor-in-chief claiming "this has to stop"

Edit: 6) many many many people trying to understand the "author's" logic when he says that the iPad is more functional than the Surface because the Surface can't run legacy Windows application. Cause you know... The iPad can totally run OS X applications which is why its better, obviously because you know.... Obviously, cause obviously

I took out my CNET boomark lmao...not using that site again, might be too extreme but i lost all respect for them.
    09-30-2013 02:41 PM
    People want tablets for CONSUMPTION . If you want to throw in productivity then you'd better package the keyboard and price it super aggressively as in under $500 to give the average consumer STRONG reason to veer away from the standard bearer and its huge app ecosystem.
    If Microsoft were to only offer a consumption device then they can count me out as a perspective buyer. I'm a proud owner of the surface pro; the device you called a joke. It's been able to handle pretty much everything I've thrown at it in a small portable package. Go ahead and stick with your Angry birds on your android/ipad. I'll continue to play StarCraft II, League of Legends and Company of heros on my Surface Pro.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    09-30-2013 03:02 PM
    I don't understand why people keep saying the SP2 is expensive. I've been looking for a new laptop and every comparable ultrabook is priced similar to the SP2 w/ keyboard.
    I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Customers don't like that they have to pay for keyboard separately. Microsoft should just set one price and include the touch cover. Then offer the type cover as a $10 upgrade.
    09-30-2013 03:31 PM
    I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Customers don't like that they have to pay for keyboard separately. Microsoft should just set one price and include the touch cover. Then offer the type cover as a $10 upgrade.
    Yeah but if they did that then people would complain that they cant pick the color that they want lmao........and call it a "Joke" like someone people in this forum.
    09-30-2013 04:07 PM
    I remember when Cnet was a decent site... Of course it's been nearly a decade.
    09-30-2013 04:10 PM
    I do agree, but people should look at it rationally. Either way the price would be the same. I also like the idea of picking keyboard colors
    Last edited by slowboy920; 09-30-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    09-30-2013 04:55 PM
    Its a quality product but what are you really getting for that price that you can't get from a mid-level to hi end laptop?
    Really? Apparently, you haven't done your research or you don't have the vision to see the unique possibilities that a device like Surface Pro offers. Let me list some things that I do with my Surface Pro and some of the reasons that my mid-level laptop has not been booted in months.

One device that can serve as a tablet, an ultrabook, and a desktop PC (dual external monitors, full USB keyboard, and mouse).
    Incredible portability (only slightly thicker heavier than a dedicated tablet) for a device with the functionality of a full PC.
    No need to sync music, pics, video, etc. on 3 devices or keep 3 devices OS/Software updated.
    No need to install/learn/use different software on different devices.
    Single OS for both desktop and touch optimized applications.
    1080P resolution.
    Touch screen.
    Wacom active digitizer.
    SSD SATA storage.

It's clear that the Surface Pro isn't for you. Maybe you need one of those 10lb desktop replacement laptops or just a basic tablet. However, to act like the capabilities of the Surface Pro are useless to everyone else is just absurd. For many of us this is the "holy grail" of computer devices and for the average person it is more than capable of meeting all of their computer needs (except smartphone or small reading tablet).
    09-30-2013 05:03 PM
    Put into perspective, the new surface pro 2 base model is only 50 dollars more then a 64gb iPhone 5S! Now that is something CNET would NEVER say lmao.
    rchillin likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:12 PM
    Really? Apparently, you haven't done your research or you don't have the vision to see the unique possibilities that a device like Surface Pro offers. Let me list some things that I do with my Surface Pro and some of the reasons that my mid-level laptop has not been booted in months.

One device that can serve as a tablet, an ultrabook, and a desktop PC (dual external monitors, full USB keyboard, and mouse).
    Incredible portability (only slightly thicker heavier than a dedicated tablet) for a device with the functionality of a full PC.
    No need to sync music, pics, video, etc. on 3 devices or keep 3 devices OS/Software updated.
    No need to install/learn/use different software on different devices.
    Single OS for both desktop and touch optimized applications.
    1080P resolution.
    Touch screen.
    Wacom active digitizer.
    SSD SATA storage.

It's clear that the Surface Pro isn't for you. Maybe you need one of those 10lb desktop replacement laptops or just a basic tablet. However, to act like the capabilities of the Surface Pro are useless to everyone else is just absurd. For many of us this is the "holy grail" of computer devices and for the average person it is more than capable of meeting all of their computer needs (except smartphone or small reading tablet).
    True dat. The surface pro is the holy grail of devices. The 2nd Gen even more so. Gosh I can't wait till Oct 22nd.
    russmov likes this.
    09-30-2013 05:14 PM
    Put into perspective, the new surface pro 2 base model is only 50 dollars more then a 64gb iPhone 5S! Now that is something CNET would NEVER say lmao.

i'm not really sure why you're comparing a phone to a laptop, or why you would want a reviewer to do that either. they're apples and oranges , aren't they ?
    09-30-2013 05:17 PM
    i'm not really sure why you're comparing a phone to a laptop, or why you would want a reviewer to do that either. they're apples and oranges , aren't they ?
    Well I can compare whatever the hell I want considering the fact that CNET compares an iPad to a Surface Pro lol.
    09-30-2013 05:24 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. It is true that the Pro holds a unique place in the PC space. As a standalone PC I'd probably enjoy it. As a tablet it still wouldn't be very practical for me but to each his own. Portability is good considering is versatility and ability to use just about any peripheral.

Dollars to donuts it may just come down to preference. The touch covers for both Surface models should be bundled and the justification ESPECIALLY for the Pro just doesn't hold water if you want to give people a little incentive to spend their hard earned dollars.

The Pro is a solid device. Its still too heavy as a tablet and In my opinion its still pricey but that's ok.

The Surface 2? Without the type cover, (on a device loaded with Office no less), and a still weak app store is not worth the money they are asking for. Hopefully it will be just not now. The compromise is getting old...
    09-30-2013 06:25 PM
    What is the average amount of minutes/hours that a person holds a tablet? The weight issue with the SP2 is getting ridiculous. I know when I use my RT, it's either with the kickstand or on my lap. Do people really hold their tablets for that long amount of time that it becomes a issue. This reminds me of the weight issue with Lumia 920. Apple has convinced everyone that we need a app for everything.
    09-30-2013 07:37 PM
    What is the average amount of minutes/hours that a person holds a tablet? The weight issue with the SP2 is getting ridiculous. I know when I use my RT, it's either with the kickstand or on my lap. Do people really hold their tablets for that long amount of time that it becomes a issue. This reminds me of the weight issue with Lumia 920. Apple has convinced everyone that we need a app for everything.
    when I have my touch cover folded to the back of my Surface RT I can definitely say that its too heavy to be comfortable to hold for a long period of time. But remove the keyboard and the issue is gone imo. The Surface 1 is a nice tablet, but I'll have to admit that that the surface 2 is tempting even if I most likely won't buy it
    09-30-2013 07:42 PM
    Well I can compare whatever the hell I want considering the fact that CNET compares an iPad to a Surface Pro lol.
    The iPad and surface have similar intended uses, and markets. The surface definitely wants the huge iPad market to notice it, and switch.
    10-01-2013 04:18 AM
    How can you compare a full latop, running a full OS....to a ****in toy?? You can't do crap on that iPad compared to a pro. Does it offer USB support? NO...does it offer 256ssd? NO....does it have a core i chip, you guessed it NO. iPad is nothing
    10-01-2013 04:25 AM
    The Surface Pro 2 should be compared to the MacBook Air. Anything less is just an insult to the Surface Pro 2, it really doesn't matter what the dimensions are of the Surface Pro 2 being a tablet/laptop hybrid. If the internals aren't even close, it doesn't make any sense to compare it to the iPad. It would be like comparing a the Surface RT or Surface 2 to the MacBook Air.
    10-01-2013 05:28 AM
    I agree. It amazings me the number of people who point out the weight. I mean, 2 lbs people. Are people that weak in 2013?

I don't know if its Apple that convinced everyone they need an app for everything, but I tire of the "app junkies" who need to point out the differences in the app stores. Ok, Windows don't have an app to teach you how to tie your shoes, or help you operate a door knob, I get it. So, If you are one of those people who choose an operating system based on the app store, maybe Windows phone / tablet isn't for you.
    scgf likes this.
    10-01-2013 07:12 AM
    On numerous occasions I have been stood up on a busy train holding my RT in portrait mode playing pinball fx2. After probably about 30 minutes I have to stop playing and put the RT in landscape as it starts hurting my wrists. Doubtless I could use an ipad for longer but pinball doesn't look very good on a 4:3 screen . Note that's 30 mins holding it in portrait. Have never had a problem holding the RT in landscape
    10-01-2013 07:29 AM
    On numerous occasions I have been stood up on a busy train holding my RT in portrait mode playing pinball fx2. After probably about 30 minutes I have to stop playing and put the RT in landscape as it starts hurting my wrists. Doubtless I could use an ipad for longer but pinball doesn't look very good on a 4:3 screen . Note that's 30 mins holding it in portrait. Have never had a problem holding the RT in landscape
    That's the point. Probably doesn't matter what your holding, surface or iPad after that among of time it will get tiring
    10-01-2013 08:13 AM
    This guy Brooke Crothers, the writer of this ****ty article and biased pov is a true Apple evangelist. !
    Ho w dare he did even a comparison of a Surface device, coz all he writes about is apple !!

For more proof, please read the articles or coments that he has written.. !!

he is a paid Biatch !

Brooke Crothers - CNET
    10-01-2013 08:18 AM
    The iPad and surface have similar intended uses, and markets. The surface definitely wants the huge iPad market to notice it, and switch.
    the Surface RT/2 have similar intended users as iPad, but the Surface Pro is a completely different crowd which is definitely smaller. Sure the Surface RT/2 wants the iPad market, or else MS wouldn't advertise like crazy with comparisons.
    10-01-2013 08:32 AM
    Surface RT goes head to head with the iPad

Surface Pro goes head to head with laptop and ultrabooks.
    10-01-2013 02:03 PM
    How can you compare a full latop, running a full OS....to a ****in toy?? You can't do crap on that iPad compared to a pro. Does it offer USB support? NO...does it offer 256ssd? NO....does it have a core i chip, you guessed it NO. iPad is nothing
    Well, your no's were correct.

The iPad appears to be something though, as opposed to nothing. Toy is defined as a learning, associating, growing thing by people on Wikipedia. I know you meant it in a derogatory fashion, buy I'm going for positive. Any device can be made a toy, and turned into fun.

You also described the pro as a full laptop. It is not. It has limits as does every device. It's fine that the iPad is not suited tor rugby, just as the surface is not suited to shark fishing. They both are very capable in their own regards though.

Will the market recognize it ? Man I hope so. Competitions always benefit consumers. As of now, the iPad doesn't have competition from Microsoft, only android in the tablet sector. Is really like to see a three abreast finish.
    10-01-2013 02:09 PM
148 12345 ...