More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

MS is slightly misguided if they think that they will turn a profit with Surface. As they are designed, marketed and priced margins included they simply will not sell enough to make an impact.

You have the Surface Pro that isn't a tablet. It's a PC, (Microsoft 's words not mine), too heavy to be a tablet and too expensive to compete with plenty of laptops that run 8.1 with more capable chipsets. What makes anyone think that MS will sell enough of the Pro to really make an impact?

As far as the Surface 2 is concerned you still have a fine tablet that has a severely limited app ecosystem, an outstanding keyboard that makes the tablet extremely capable and versatile but you price it comparable to the industry leader in the tablet space. That formula is simply not enough to gain market or mindshare. The device is not compelling enough to make a significant impact in the tablet space.

People want tablets for CONSUMPTION . If you want to throw in productivity then you'd better package the keyboard and price it super aggressively as in under $500 to give the average consumer STRONG reason to veer away from the standard bearer and its huge app ecosystem.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
MS is slightly misguided if they think that they will turn a profit with Surface. As they are designed, marketed and priced margins included they simply will not sell enough to make an impact.

You have the Surface Pro that isn't a tablet. It's a PC, (Microsoft 's words not mine), too heavy to be a tablet and too expensive to compete with plenty of laptops that run 8.1 with more capable chipsets. What makes anyone think that MS will sell enough of the Pro to really make an impact?

As far as the Surface 2 is concerned you still have a fine tablet that has a severely limited app ecosystem, an outstanding keyboard that makes the tablet extremely capable and versatile but you price it comparable to the industry leader in the tablet space. That formula is simply not enough to gain market or mindshare. The device is not compelling enough to make a significant impact in the tablet space.

People want tablets for CONSUMPTION . If you want to throw in productivity then you'd better package the keyboard and price it super aggressively as in under $500 to give the average consumer STRONG reason to veer away from the standard bearer and its huge app ecosystem.

as I have previously stated in this thread, Microsoft does NOT want to sell a lot of these. Sure they would like to, but if everyone bought one of these as opposed to other computers on the market, then Dell or HP or any other PC maker would go out of business or worse, go to Android.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

Fair enough, people want TABLETS for consumption....i agree with you. People who buy a Pro are not strictly using for consumption.

I have a Nexus, I find tablets absolutely useless since my phone does a great job of consumption. I would personally say the same about Surface RT/2, its a useless utility for me.

PRO is something I've been waiting years for, and yes its offered in different variations by different OEMs. However MSs product is designed in a way that better suits my needs.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Not surprised considering half their staff quit due to the whole 'Hopper' fiasco that happened a few months back. Pretty much killed any credibility CNET had left in my mind.

I had never heard this story before. Funny line is where it lists all the things they DID endorse, like the Creative Zen vision M. I had two of those pieces of crap, one for me and one for the wife. Mine died just outside of warranty and the wife's died some time later. Not sure because she quit using it.

[edit] see, I've been an apple-avoider for some time now [/edit]

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

As an Apple user I think the Surface Pro competes with the MBAir and not the iPad. In fact, before I bought my current MBAir my first choice was a Surface Pro (if considered an ultrabook it is probably the best ultrabook out there) but it was not available in my country. An iPad is an entirely other category. IMHO.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Wifi filter where I am blocks the comments. Can someone send screenshots of a lot of the comments so I can laugh?

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site

A bit of a comparison here between the CNET UK and US site.
Lumia 520/1 - 4 UK, 3US
Lumia 620 - 4.5 UK, 3 US
Lumia 625 - 3.5 UK, 3 US
Lumia 820 - 3.5 UK, 3.5 UK
Lumia 920 - 4 UK, 4 US
Lumia 925 - 4 UK, 4 US

Some of them are admittedly equal in the UK and US, but none of them are rated higher on the US site, especially the 620!! I fail to understand the 1.5 star difference.

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Wifi filter where I am blocks the comments. Can someone send screenshots of a lot of the comments so I can laugh?

I haven't read all of the comments (too many), but a large proportion are claiming one or more of the following:

Not a fair test (ipad users agreeing with this statement)
ridiculous article
biased article
I don't trust CNET anymore
etc

I only read one comment from a clear apple ****** who proposed completely ridiculous statements, and has been corrected by a few about how ridiculous his statements were.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I haven't read all of the comments (too many), but a large proportion are claiming one or more of the following:

Not a fair test (ipad users agreeing with this statement)
ridiculous article
biased article
I don't trust CNET anymore
etc

I only read one comment from a clear apple ****** who proposed completely ridiculous statements, and has been corrected by a few about how ridiculous his statements were.

I didn't think It could get any worse after Molly Wood's 1020 video. I thought wrong.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

To sum it up:

1) people claiming the author(term used loosely) makes love to his Apple products at night
2) people saying they're never going to visit CNET again
3) people yelling at CNET for its clear bias
4) Apple fans trying to defend it, but gather no support (as shown by the fact that the pro-surface pro comments gather on average 7+ likes while the anti-surface pro comments have about 3 total between all of them
5) misc - one guy said he's blocking all ads on CNET using adblock. Another guy emailed the editor-in-chief claiming "this has to stop"

Edit: 6) many many many people trying to understand the "author's" logic when he says that the iPad is more functional than the Surface because the Surface can't run legacy Windows application. Cause you know... The iPad can totally run OS X applications which is why its better, obviously because you know.... Obviously, cause obviously

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I have no issues with that strategy however what they are offering is counterintuitive to that end. They cannot hope to get a toehold in market share by having a weak sales/ marketing strategy backed by confusing product branding, and overpriced hardware that can run a handful of programs in a weak apps ecosystem.

The Pro is a joke because no one knows what it is. Is it a tablet? NO. Is it a laptop? NO. Is it expensive as hell? YES.

So hows that for marketing a product. Microsoft has a knack for muddying the waters...

I would have to disagree with you here, the Surface Pro is not a joke, its faster than any Ultrabook out there with similar specs and similar price, its build quality destroys any other out there. Its on par with the MBA and that thing is truly a joke when it comes to price and features.....Horrible screen, no touchscreen, and of course OSX lol. The Surface Pro is not a TABLET, its an Ultrabook in the body of a tablet....Looks the the best of both worlds to me..

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

To sum it up:

1) people claiming the author(term used loosely) makes love to his Apple products at night
2) people saying they're never going to visit CNET again
3) people yelling at CNET for its clear bias
4) Apple fans trying to defend it, but gather no support (as shown by the fact that the pro-surface pro comments gather on average 7+ likes while the anti-surface pro comments have about 3 total between all of them
5) misc - one guy said he's blocking all ads on CNET using adblock. Another guy emailed the editor-in-chief claiming "this has to stop"

Edit: 6) many many many people trying to understand the "author's" logic when he says that the iPad is more functional than the Surface because the Surface can't run legacy Windows application. Cause you know... The iPad can totally run OS X applications which is why its better, obviously because you know.... Obviously, cause obviously

I took out my CNET boomark lmao...not using that site again, might be too extreme but i lost all respect for them.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

If Microsoft were to only offer a consumption device then they can count me out as a perspective buyer. I'm a proud owner of the surface pro; the device you called a joke. It's been able to handle pretty much everything I've thrown at it in a small portable package. Go ahead and stick with your Angry birds on your android/ipad. I'll continue to play StarCraft II, League of Legends and Company of heros on my Surface Pro.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why people keep saying the SP2 is expensive. I've been looking for a new laptop and every comparable ultrabook is priced similar to the SP2 w/ keyboard.

I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Customers don't like that they have to pay for keyboard separately. Microsoft should just set one price and include the touch cover. Then offer the type cover as a $10 upgrade.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I think you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Customers don't like that they have to pay for keyboard separately. Microsoft should just set one price and include the touch cover. Then offer the type cover as a $10 upgrade.

Yeah but if they did that then people would complain that they cant pick the color that they want lmao........and call it a "Joke" like someone people in this forum.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

I remember when Cnet was a decent site... Of course it's been nearly a decade.

slowboy920

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I do agree, but people should look at it rationally. Either way the price would be the same. I also like the idea of picking keyboard colors

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Its a quality product but what are you really getting for that price that you can't get from a mid-level to hi end laptop?

Really? Apparently, you haven't done your research or you don't have the vision to see the unique possibilities that a device like Surface Pro offers. Let me list some things that I do with my Surface Pro and some of the reasons that my mid-level laptop has not been booted in months.

One device that can serve as a tablet, an ultrabook, and a desktop PC (dual external monitors, full USB keyboard, and mouse).
Incredible portability (only slightly thicker heavier than a dedicated tablet) for a device with the functionality of a full PC.
No need to sync music, pics, video, etc. on 3 devices or keep 3 devices OS/Software updated.
No need to install/learn/use different software on different devices.
Single OS for both desktop and touch optimized applications.
1080P resolution.
Touch screen.
Wacom active digitizer.
SSD SATA storage.

It's clear that the Surface Pro isn't for you. Maybe you need one of those 10lb desktop replacement laptops or just a basic tablet. However, to act like the capabilities of the Surface Pro are useless to everyone else is just absurd. For many of us this is the "holy grail" of computer devices and for the average person it is more than capable of meeting all of their computer needs (except smartphone or small reading tablet).

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Put into perspective, the new surface pro 2 base model is only 50 dollars more then a 64gb iPhone 5S! Now that is something CNET would NEVER say lmao.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Really? Apparently, you haven't done your research or you don't have the vision to see the unique possibilities that a device like Surface Pro offers. Let me list some things that I do with my Surface Pro and some of the reasons that my mid-level laptop has not been booted in months.

One device that can serve as a tablet, an ultrabook, and a desktop PC (dual external monitors, full USB keyboard, and mouse).
Incredible portability (only slightly thicker heavier than a dedicated tablet) for a device with the functionality of a full PC.
No need to sync music, pics, video, etc. on 3 devices or keep 3 devices OS/Software updated.
No need to install/learn/use different software on different devices.
Single OS for both desktop and touch optimized applications.
1080P resolution.
Touch screen.
Wacom active digitizer.
SSD SATA storage.

It's clear that the Surface Pro isn't for you. Maybe you need one of those 10lb desktop replacement laptops or just a basic tablet. However, to act like the capabilities of the Surface Pro are useless to everyone else is just absurd. For many of us this is the "holy grail" of computer devices and for the average person it is more than capable of meeting all of their computer needs (except smartphone or small reading tablet).

True dat. The surface pro is the holy grail of devices. The 2nd Gen even more so. Gosh I can't wait till Oct 22nd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss