More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Try this: Compare Microsoft's Surface to the iPad

Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly, says CNET's Brooke Crothers. And he's not even talking about the design.
Surface Pro 2. It's bigger, thicker, heavier than the iPad. Oh yeah, it's more expensive too

SUMMARY from Brooke Cothers of CNET:
* Surface Pro is ugly
* Surface Pro is poor compared to the ipad
* Surface Pro is a laptop, not a tablet
* Surface Pro is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the iPad
* Surface 2 sucks too, because it doesn't use Bay Trail.
* Things are just going to get worse for Microsoft in the coming months
* Buy an iPad, duh!

That makes it 3 different writers in a month that have slagged off on Microsoft products with nonsensical, misleading, and outright incorrect reasoning.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57605130-75/try-this-compare-microsofts-surface-to-the-ipad/

This website is a joke. Does anyone know of a more evenhanded tech website?

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

Wow. Does someone pays them to spread bull****? I don't think they do it just because of fanboyism.

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

Not surprised considering half their staff quit due to the whole 'Hopper' fiasco that happened a few months back. Pretty much killed any credibility CNET had left in my mind.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, I actually agree with points number 4, 5, and 6...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Guys, we can calm down, the comment section of that article let them have it.

I'm impressed though, its been 6 days since the Surface came out that they posted an anti-Surface article, normally its the same day for something from Microsoft.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I saw this earlier today...pretty annoy and hard to read. Sure the iPads cheaper, but the references to the Pros below average crying is overboard. I used to like CNET, the last few articles by them towards MS has been nothing but plain ignorance or lack of knowledge on the product. I agree, this is beyond a fan boy prospective.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

They need to change CNET's name to APPLENET.

Oh, and they're comparing the Surface Pro 2 against the iPad, he would be better off comparing the Blackberry Playbook and the Sony Xperia Z Ultra!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site

And also, what makes them think that Apple is better than Microsoft because they listen to them?

Maybe those pay-checks make opinions.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
CNET is pretty much a joke now however there continue to be serious issues with Microsoft branding, features and pricing for the surface.

First. Sell the Surface as simply the Surface. No RT. No Surface 2. Just Surface. You can differentiate generations, (like the Nexus 7), but that's it. Market the Surface as a TABLET. A very flexible and capable TABLET. Not a hybrid, not a laptop, a TABLET.

Design wise go for thin and light all the time and everytime. Period.

Bundle the type cover with the 32gig tablet and price it at a flat $400. Period. It would instantly be serious competition in the TABLET space as long as they continue to flesh out the app ecosystem.

Finally. Scrap the pro. The Pro is a joke of a device. You can easily spend almost $2000 for a spec'd -out Surface Pro with all the accessories. That's ridiculous considering the laptops available now that run Windows.

Microsoft has good engineers but couldn't sell ice cubes to a room full of Eskimos.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

If there was no Surface Pro, I wouldn't even take interest in a tablet and disregard the devices altogether. Why is the Pro a joke?...even if the market is small now, the probability of growing considering the consumer market is positive.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
CNET is pretty much a joke now however there continue to be serious issues with Microsoft branding, features and pricing for the surface.

First. Sell the Surface as simply the Surface. No RT. No Surface 2. Just Surface. You can differentiate generations, (like the Nexus 7), but that's it. Market the Surface as a TABLET. A very flexible and capable TABLET. Not a hybrid, not a laptop, a TABLET.

Design wise go for thin and light all the time and everytime. Period.

Bundle the type cover with the 32gig tablet and price it at a flat $400. Period. It would instantly be serious competition in the TABLET space as long as they continue to flesh out the app ecosystem.

Finally. Scrap the pro. The Pro is a joke of a device. You can easily spend almost $2000 for a spec'd -out Surface Pro with all the accessories. That's ridiculous considering the laptops available now that run Windows.

Microsoft has good engineers but couldn't sell ice cubes to a room full of Eskimos.

You act like Microsoft's goal is to sell a ton of these. Microsoft has never done business that way. They want to sell you an OS. The Surface line is like a proof of concept that they want the OEMs to try to be, then that'll drive the prices down on other Windows products. They want their partners to sell computers/tablets, not run them out of business.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

I have no issues with that strategy however what they are offering is counterintuitive to that end. They cannot hope to get a toehold in market share by having a weak sales/ marketing strategy backed by confusing product branding, and overpriced hardware that can run a handful of programs in a weak apps ecosystem.

The Pro is a joke because no one knows what it is. Is it a tablet? NO. Is it a laptop? NO. Is it expensive as hell? YES.

So hows that for marketing a product. Microsoft has a knack for muddying the waters...

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

You act like Microsoft's goal is to sell a ton of these. Microsoft has never done business that way. They want to sell you an OS. The Surface line is like a proof of concept that they want the OEMs to try to be, then that'll drive the prices down on other Windows products. They want their partners to sell computers/tablets, not run them out of business.

Where have you been for the last few months? That was the 'old' Microsoft, the 'new' Microsoft is a Devices and Services company, therefore selling devices should probably be a priority for them...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I think they have the Surface marketing nailed down. Really the main ads that I see for the Surface are comparing it to the iPad and how its better.

As for the Pro side.... Yeah, they have a way to go with that. No dancing people, and I do agree they should bundle the keyboard with the pro since they show it in literally every ad (just the pro, not the Surface, since the Surface is a tablet).

IMO, one of my biggest pet peeves in their marketing is the unveiling of their products. It always seems so under the rug, forget about it. To make the OEMs try to be the Surface, they should show off the Surface way more than they do now. Have big, cheering audiences, live video feed directly from Surface.com, all that jazz that people get to see and be excited about at Apple events.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Where have you been for the last few months? That was the 'old' Microsoft, the 'new' Microsoft is a Devices and Services company, therefore selling devices should probably be a priority for them...

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give Dell $2 billion if they didn't care if their partners go out of business because they're selling their own stuff, just my opinion though...

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

All these news from engadget, cnet, verge are weird .. they seem to see this differently from us. they have facts to support this of course, i hope they sell decently well. they are good devices.

slowboy920

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why people keep saying the SP2 is expensive. I've been looking for a new laptop and every comparable ultrabook is priced similar to the SP2 w/ keyboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss