Going to Microsoft Store tomorrow-Anything you want me to check?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So I will see the surface pro 2 and surface 2 tomorrow. Anything you want me to check, like benchmarks, physical design, covers, etc? Because I'm sure they will let me do some diagnostics. It's not I'm not wiping the devices, lol.

So post here and let me know what to check. Thanks.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Could you test out the kickstands on both to see how they stay in place? Currently the Surfaces just flick back and stay in one place, but I want to know what happens when you flick back now, will it go all the way back or keep sturdy in one position until you flick it again.

Edit: also, if they have the remix covers, could you test out that software? It looks interesting.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
See if you can gauge how usable it is typing while in your lap. Is the new kick stand position supposed to optimize that?

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Could you test out the kickstands on both to see how they stay in place? Currently the Surfaces just flick back and stay in one place, but I want to know what happens when you flick back now, will it go all the way back or keep sturdy in one position until you flick it again.

Edit: also, if they have the remix covers, could you test out that software? It looks interesting.

The kickstand behaves just like the promo videos / commercials show. You flick it back / open once and it'll lock in place. If the angle isn't to your liking then you can flick it further and it locks in place. You can go reverse in the same way or just close it in one shot. It felt as sturdy as the current Surfaces.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
See if you can gauge how usable it is typing while in your lap. Is the new kick stand position supposed to optimize that?

The new kickstand was introduced for better screen angle / positioning. I found no difference in terms of lap typing. Whether or not you find it suitable for lap typing is going to be up to you. Some like it, some don't. Personally I find lap typing very easy with the Type Cover.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The kickstand behaves just like the promo videos / commercials show. You flick it back / open once and it'll lock in place. If the angle isn't to your liking then you can flick it further and it locks in place. You can go reverse in the same way or just close it in one shot. It felt as sturdy as the current Surfaces.

I figured it did, but I would just feel a lot better about my purchase if there was someone with hands-on experience because promos can be kinda misleading sometimes

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So I will see the surface pro 2 and surface 2 tomorrow. Anything you want me to check, like benchmarks, physical design, covers, etc? Because I'm sure they will let me do some diagnostics. It's not I'm not wiping the devices, lol.

So post here and let me know what to check. Thanks.

One thing I forgot to check was boot times from powered off state. If you could time both Surfaces that would be great. Currently the Pro (1) boots in 7-8 secs from press of the button. I'm very curious to see how fast the Surface 2 with Tegra4 boots.

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Does the surface pro 2 look like it is user upgradeable? Can users add memory or a higher capacity solid state drive to the device after they purchase it?

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it too. The original surface pro is very difficult to disassemble based on my superficial research. Not holding out much hope but you never know.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I saw a tear down video where the person took it apart and said that its basically almost unrepairable or unexpandable because Microsoft took the two worst things about tablets and laptops and combined them: glued on screen on a tablet and dozens of different screws like a laptop. Sorry.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
One of my common ways of holding the RT is sticking my hand between the kickstand and the back of the tablet. I'm worried the adjustable kickstand will mess it up. See if this is still doable for me please. I hope both positions have a way of locking in place.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I was able to test the kickstands on both devices, and they seemed fine. I liked both positions. They wouldn't let me try to put it on my lap, as there was only one pro and one rt and they were wired up. And they had no music covers, just the type cover 2 and touch cover 2, in black. I liked them a lot. The tactile response was a little less than last years, which I don't like, but it became thinner and backlit, so I'm fine.

So I answered the first peoples questions.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing I forgot to check was boot times from powered off state. If you could time both Surfaces that would be great. Currently the Pro (1) boots in 7-8 secs from press of the button. I'm very curious to see how fast the Surface 2 with Tegra4 boots.

They didn't want me to because it had a password on it, so if I turned it off, they didn't want to retype in the password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99