I just got my Surface/pro 2 and I ... (fill in the blank)

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Question though: mine is currently plugged in, but it's not charging past 70%. Is this by design?

Mine stopped at 84% for about an hour and then at some point finished charging to 100%. During the pause it said, "84% - plugged in, not charging" or something like that. At the time I was installing a ton of large desktop programs, letting my SkyDrive sync several gigs of data down, running two external monitors, and generally using it very heavily. I also had the power option set to "high performance" mode which allows causes it to prefer raw speed instead of trying to balance power and heat. I'm not sure if any of that was a factor, but it could be. Charging Li-ion batteries when they are above a certain temp is bad and a lot of charging circuits are designed to pause charging in such cases. Give it some time. It will probably resume when conditions are more normal.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface/pro 2 and I ...

...have installed all my desktop software, Modern apps, and finished configuring it. Now I'm "Miracasting" (streaming) my Surface Pro 2 screen to my TV and watching The Walking Dead. I love this thing.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface/pro 2 and I ...

...have installed all my desktop software, Modern apps, and finished configuring it. Now I'm "Miracasting" (streaming) my Surface Pro 2 screen to my TV and watching The Walking Dead. I love this thing.

What are you using as a miracast receiver?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I received my 256gb SP2 this afternoon, and I'm typing this response using my Type Cover 2. I'm replacing an older Dell XPS 17, and I'm really liking how small this is in comparison, without feeling like I'm going to destroy it just by looking at it.

Question though: mine is currently plugged in, but it's not charging past 70%. Is this by design?

Mine's plugged in as we speak, err rather, I type (on my new cyan Type Cover 2, no less). It's at 100% and holding. And I'm loving mine too. Even though the 128GB model only has 4GB of RAM, it sure can juggle lots of processor intensive tasks. It's such a breath of fresh air, I feel free to do as I please, and not feel restricted by a sluggish processor. This is truly a powerful little machine, shame the 128GB doesn't get 8GB of RAM to help future proof it, but then again, I suppose the future is more lightweight mobile apps, so I think I'll be good.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What are you using as a miracast receiver?

PTV3000

It works great with my Surface Pro 2 and the latest firmware. However, I spent a lot of time trying to get it to work with my original Surface Pro (just a few days ago) and it just wouldn't work. I think it's probably a driver/hardware issue with the original Pro. Miracast was brand new around the time the Surface Pro was being released. Anyway, it's working flawlessly on the SP2 so I'm happy. If you get one, make sure you update the firmware right out of the box and hit Windows Update first too. My SP2 installed some updates which might play a factor. Miracast requires some fairly cutting edge wireless network driver support.

I'm actually typing this on my living room TV right now. Pointless, but fun.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just some fyi for the guy who's Pro2 stopped at 70% charge, mine fully charged yesterday (although it took a little longer than I expected) to 100% without issues.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It is a bit awkward at first, but I actually kinda like using it in portrait mode, when read long articles at least. Lets you focus just on the text, and I've found the kickstand also supports it in portrait (albeit, it's a little more wobbly, but overall stable).

Try using the Read View feature in IE11, makes reading articles easier and more comfortable IMO and you can stay in landscape mode because it scrolls horizontally.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday and I'm happy. Coming from the Surface Pro I feel a bit guilty because I loved its performance, but the better kickstand, battery, and display (color accuracy) of the SP2 would all benefit me so upgraded. So far I'm very happy, not regrets. All three improvements have not disappointed.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Just some fyi for the guy who's Pro2 stopped at 70% charge, mine fully charged yesterday (although it took a little longer than I expected) to 100% without issues.
Yeah, I shut it down after unplugging it, and removing the type cover. Plugged it back in and left it while I caught up on TV shows, and it appears to be fine now.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I shut it down after unplugging it, and removing the type cover. Plugged it back in and left it while I caught up on TV shows, and it appears to be fine now.

OK great news! =)

On another note, using the device in portrait mode is AWESOME...way better than i expected

SonicRaT

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Just bring it in and they will exchange it on the spot, don't even need to open a ticket. What sort of problem are you having?

I bought it from the MS store online, and there's no store within hours of here. It seems I have a defective GPU, it shows signs of many of the older laptops/macbooks that had solder issues where the GPU would short causing artifacts/distortion/screen noise/flickering/display corruption, etc. I'll have to send it back and have a replacement shipped out... Not exactly the way I wished to start out with the surface.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought it from the MS store online, and there's no store within hours of here. It seems I have a defective GPU, it shows signs of many of the older laptops/macbooks that had solder issues where the GPU would short causing artifacts/distortion/screen noise/flickering/display corruption, etc. I'll have to send it back and have a replacement shipped out... Not exactly the way I wished to start out with the surface.

Sorry to hear that. I certainly hope Microsoft is paying for shipping both ways.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday and I'm happy. Coming from the Surface Pro I feel a bit guilty because I loved its performance, but the better kickstand, battery, and display (color accuracy) of the SP2 would all benefit me so upgraded. So far I'm very happy, not regrets. All three improvements have not disappointed.

What did you do with your 1st gen Pro?

SonicRaT

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I certainly hope Microsoft is paying for shipping both ways.

Yes, they are, it just sucks to be without it for up to a week and its killed the excitement factor I had for a new toy. That and my interactions with support thus far have been absolutely atrocious. Just very poor service all around. I do quite enjoy the device thus far despite the issue though, and hope once I get it replaced I can finally get it setup how I want.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
What did you do with your 1st gen Pro?

I sold it to a friend who up until now used nothing but ipads. They were curious about Win 8.1 so I showed them the features which I found to be personally useful. After a couples of hours of demoing, answering questions, and then letting them use/try it they said they wanted it. What sold them was the Pro's ability to perform like a full PC, fast and without compromise. They still like the ipad but have to always put it down and go to a PC to get their work done. Well now they don't, and they were willing to sacrifice a bit on the tablet / gaming / multimedia side of things to achieve this.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they are, it just sucks to be without it for up to a week and its killed the excitement factor I had for a new toy. That and my interactions with support thus far have been absolutely atrocious. Just very poor service all around. I do quite enjoy the device thus far despite the issue though, and hope once I get it replaced I can finally get it setup how I want.

Yes, that is a downer for sure. Unless you're constantly walking under ladders I expect your second unit to be flawless.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
OK great news! =)

On another note, using the device in portrait mode is AWESOME...way better than i expected

I'm inclined to agree, it's great for reading long articles! Plus, the kickstand will still (kinda) work in portrait, which is great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6