Got the SP2 today, great device, last hour though has got me to the point of throwing it against the wall....

I open IE in desktop mode without keyboard attached (tablet mode) and click on the address bar (or any field) and expect the virtual keyboard to pop up as it does on every other tablet, but no - I have to press the keyboard icon in system tray and then it pops up.. HOW ANNOYING!

I just went into the video app and purchased a film to rent..paid for it and thinking great...cant find it anywhere! I have gone to rebuy and says ive already rented it and have 14 days to watch it...but HOW do I watch the damn thing! grrrrrr

Also got office 365 today....Outlook...designed by a blind man - whatever you do stick to outlook 2010, 2013 is bordering on unusable, and I run 2 companies!
    10-22-2013 06:10 PM
    You should be happy you got yours already. Some of us are still waiting
    10-22-2013 06:31 PM
    meh - Bing has stopped working - says No search results found for ANYTHING I type both desktop and app, I reset IE and still the same issue - I have to press refresh 20 times for result to come up! is Bing down? anyway to check?
    10-22-2013 06:39 PM
    Yeah desktop mode doesn't have automatic onscreen keyboard, I'm hoping that's something they change. Not sure what your problem is with the movies, a play button should appear with each video you purchased or rented. And Outlook looks just fine not sure what your problem with that is, I find it very usable on desktop (however on my surface I just use the modern app... although I'm sure if you're running 2 businesses that's probably not your thing)
    10-22-2013 06:45 PM
    My Bing is functioning flawlessly
    10-22-2013 06:46 PM
    Good to know - I will look for a play button and maybe Bing works tomorrow for me - Outlook 2013 is all white - 2010 had colours and separation and easy to see (I have 9 email address's) guess they just need a theme other than grey and white - looking online - most ppl have same complaint. Hope they fix these teething issues as simple things take longer. On my ipad I swipe up and can change brightness, is there an easy way to do it on SP2?
    10-22-2013 06:52 PM
    Good to know - I will look for a play button and maybe Bing works tomorrow for me - Outlook 2013 is all white - 2010 had colours and separation and easy to see (I have 9 email address's) guess they just need a theme other than grey and white - looking online - most ppl have same complaint. Hope they fix these teething issues as simple things take longer. On my ipad I swipe up and can change brightness, is there an easy way to do it on SP2?
    Swipe in from the right bezel to open charms, select 'Settings,' and tap 'Screen.' There's a brightness slider right there.
    Great deal likes this.
    10-22-2013 06:59 PM
    I've been using Outlook 2013since it was released and have come to love it, could never go back. The learning curve for me was similar to moving from Outlook 2003 to 2007/2010. I agee that some more themes would be nice. There are 3 themes; white, light gray, and dark gray...I only use Dark Gray which has best contrast in my opinion. With Outlook 2013 open, click the File tab and select Options. The second to last option from the bottom of the dialogue box is Office Theme and you can make your choice there.
    Great deal and Cleavitt76 like this.
    10-22-2013 07:06 PM
    I agree - I will give it time - guess im just not as patient as I was! - Bing is sorted now - god knows what happened - film is still lost - I will call MS tomorrow - appologies for a thread which has its issues pretty much resolved - loving the SP2 again! Love to get my hands on the Bluetooth adapter for Type cover tho then I can connect to TV and kick back and work :)
    10-22-2013 07:31 PM
    On film, assuming you're using Xbox video, make sure you're at the top level (back button is left arrow on top left unless you're at the top level in which case it'll be the xbox symbol). Scroll sideways to the section that says my movies or my tv depending on what you just rented. If you don't see anything in that section, yes, you may need to call MS. You can also try clicking on the My Movies or My TV title and see if it's there.

I'm probably repeating the obvious, but since I can't see what you're seeing.

The rental is attached to your MS Live account, so if you have an Xbox or other PC that use the same account you can check those. If it doesn't show up on anything, it's probably something with the service and not the Surface...
    Great deal likes this.
    10-22-2013 08:25 PM
    The keyboard not popping up automatically on the desktop is by design. If you think about how desktop programs work it makes sense to allow the user to manually open/close the keyboard. On the desktop there is usually more than one application running at the same time. Most applications have multiple text fields. Imagine if every time you switched focus from one program to another the keyboard popped up because the focused program had a textbox with the cursor in it. Just trying to jump back and forth between Word and Excel (everything is a text field in those programs) would be an awful experience.

Short of some kind of psychic coding, I can't think of any way for Windows to know when you want to type and when you don't in a desktop application. I have a Surface Pro and you get used to it after a little while. Clicking the keyboard icon is just one extra finger press before a bunch of finger typing so in the long run it's not a big deal in my opinion. Like I said, you get used to it pretty quickly and it becomes natural.

Enjoy your new toy. I think you'll probably love it once you get past some of the initial setup/config and learning curve challenges.
    Great deal likes this.
    10-22-2013 08:39 PM
    Could be, although I read on MS site that for rentals you can only watch it on the device you got it on! Xbox Video Support | Buying and Renting Videos | Xbox Video - Xbox.com Perhaps I made a mistake and got it for Xbox (which I don't have) I will call them if I cant find it.
    10-22-2013 08:41 PM
    I ran into the issue where I purchased a rental on my SurfaceRT, but couldn't find it on my 360 to watch. I later read the same as you where you have to watch it on the same device it's purchased on. Not thrilled with that.

Could be, although I read on MS site that for rentals you can only watch it on the device you got it on! Xbox Video Support | Buying and Renting Videos | Xbox Video - Xbox.com Perhaps I made a mistake and got it for Xbox (which I don't have) I will call them if I cant find it.
    10-22-2013 08:55 PM
    Don't use desktop IE11 unless you need some plugin. I don't even use it much on the desktop because it's not full screen and isn't as good for multi-monitor app multitasking.

Office 2013 is so much better because of SkyDrive integration, just get used to the new things, like touch vs mouse mode and minimizing the bottom and sidebars for more real estate for the content. On a touch screen touch mode makes it way better than 2010.
    10-22-2013 09:03 PM