Current Issues with Surface Pro 2

russmov

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
does any one else have an issue when using the stylus to physically write? The problem im having is when ever i try to write( in the forum ) as soon as i put the stylus to the screen the writing surface disappears and i have to click it again to start writing. hope this makes sense lol

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're gaming, maybe buy a mouse?

My biggest niggle is when mine starts, i have a minimised desktop on screen keyboard within the metro environment. I cant work it out, the OSK is not in the startup folder. Any ideas?
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Had the same issue with the onscreen keyboard. To turn it off, go into Ease of Access settings, there's a setting that says Start On-Screen Keyboard. Mine was checked. Unchecking it stops the keyboard from appearing after logging in.

My biggest complaint is with the type cover. The trackpad just plain sucks. Scrolling is horrible when used in any non microsoft program. And click and drag is just a nightmare.

Oh and google really needs to fix the whole DPI scaling issue with chrome. After setting the high dpi flag in chrome, the small pop up windows that appear for various extensions just don't work at all anymore.

Otherwise I'm loving my SPRO2!

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have barely made a dent in the 256gb drive space. Maybe it had something to do with running it on battery...

Does the onboard intel HD4400 graphics chip use its own dedicated memory? Or does it share the system memory. If its shared, there should be a way to increase how much memory it uses in the bios. That may do the trick. Or I could just be talking out my rear end and have no idea?!?! :grincry:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Love my Pro, my biggest issue is the back seems to scratch easily.

Only bee a few days and I've not done anything rough with it, yet the back is littered with scratches. It speaks very poorly of such a premium device. Should I get back enough, I have Microsoft Complete to cover my ***, but still, it shouldn't even have to be something I need to worry about.

Other than that, no major issues. I have had one instance of the thing randomly restarting, and IE seems to close on occasion without warning (thankfully, due to tombstoning, I can quickly get back to where I was, however). A odd quirk I've picked up on is that using the Power Saver energy profile slaughters performance. I know it's supposed to reduce performance in favor of battery life, but damn, it really kills performance. Makes things very sluggish, actually causes my Pro to freeze.

Hopefully software updates will improve these issues with time. I don't have any big quarrels with them, except for the scratching issue (that really pisses me off). The Surface Pro 2 is an incredible device, just some growing pains, so it seems. Today in English class, we were using laptops to work in groups. Well, the school's laptops suck, so I decided to pull out my Surface and help ease the workload on the pathetic devices. All my group members seemed pretty mindblown, they thought it was really cool. I doubt they're going out to buy any Microsoft product in droves now, but mindshare is a powerful thing. Just seeing it in action could leave a lasting impression and math influence future purchase decisions.

Also, to the OP's complaints about the pen: I'm not an artist, but I actually really love the pen! I just think it's nice to use. The OS treats it as a regular mouse, so it's great for when using the desktop (far more precise and accurate taps with the pen over a finger). You can configure the exact options in the Control Panel, but by default: pressing and holding with the tip for a few seconds performs a right click. Holding down the button and pressing the tip also does a right click. In apps that take advantage of the active stylus (like One Note), the other end can be used as an eraser (really handy), otherwise, the other tip acts just liked the main tip.

It's a neat little thing. Not for everyone, of course, but I personally love it. It helps make the Surface experience for me, shame it's not an option on the Surface 2.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The graphics things are up to the app dev to fix.
Apple went thru the exact same thing when the Retina displays first came out. Took months before a usable ver of FFox was available that didnt give you a ripping headache :(
Agree with the track pad. Especially the 'right click' is rubbish. I found a tiny old Dell bluetooth mouse kicking around in my office for when it required.
The main thing I dont like about the type cover is that you cannot fold it all the way back without the magnet clip/plug/whatever coming off, so when I just want 'tablet mode' I then have to pull the cover right off and find somewhere to stash it.

I had a surface RT and that's how I broke my keyboard at the magnet was by folding it back. Not sure it that is still true with the new covers. But I would highly suggest taking the cover off and just rotating it in the opposite direction. So you still have the keyboard close by and it gives a nice feel when you are holding it because of the back side of the covers. My brother has a Surface Pro and does this all the time with his Type cover.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The main thing I dont like about the type cover is that you cannot fold it all the way back without the magnet clip/plug/whatever coming off, so when I just want 'tablet mode' I then have to pull the cover right off and find somewhere to stash it.

Seriously?!...Ohhh man. I was using a Gen 1 Touch Cover and LOVED the feature of folding the keyboard back to hide it in tablet form. I did not know the Type Cover has issues with this, really disappointing.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
All you have to do is pull the type cover off flip it around and put it back on. Then it flips back to use it just fine in tablet mode.

Ahhhh, i did not know the cover could be inserted reversed (assumed the input wouldnt align)...thanks for the tip

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a surface RT and that's how I broke my keyboard at the magnet was by folding it back. Not sure it that is still true with the new covers. But I would highly suggest taking the cover off and just rotating it in the opposite direction. So you still have the keyboard close by and it gives a nice feel when you are holding it because of the back side of the covers. My brother has a Surface Pro and does this all the time with his Type cover.

I think they corrected this issue. Didn't MS offer free type/touch cover replacements which were updated to prevent this from happening. I'd be surprised if they didn't design the Touch/Type 2 covers to handle this.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed type cover 2 can fold 100% backwards without any issues, doesn't come off...very happy

Not really a matter of confirming or denying it, it's an isolated issue, so you can't "confirm" it, per se. By that logic, based on my personal experience, I can confirm the Type Cover 2 sometimes fully folds back without issue, and sometimes it ejects when folding back.

Sorry if I come across rude, it's just that real people seemingly have some problems with this (me included, but I don't think it's the biggest issue ever), so you can't really say "confirm" in this circumstance.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol...you took it too literal, all I meant was a confirmation that the cover 2 can be folded fully backwards...and im pleased. But take it however you prefer :p

russmov

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Getting an error message saying that "scanstyles does nothing in webkit/firefox". Can anyone tell me what this means? It is happening in my RBC Banking app. Using the SP2

tumahler

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with the digitizer / pen where the tracking goes way off in the top right corner. I tried calibrating the pen and I have the same issue. Also confirmed by testing the same corner with my gf's Pro 2. Looks like i'll have to exchange it at an MS store. Also, our Pro 2s came with the old charger. Slightly annoying...

russmov

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with the digitizer / pen where the tracking goes way off in the top right corner. I tried calibrating the pen and I have the same issue. Also confirmed by testing the same corner with my gf's Pro 2. Looks like i'll have to exchange it at an MS store. Also, our Pro 2s came with the old charger. Slightly annoying...
I think I have the old charger too. Its the one with just the dot of light right? Is there a way of getting the new one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs