Microsoft no love for Canadian students with Surface 2 / Surface Pro 2, makes me sad.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
So, I noticed that if you are a student in Canada, have no student offer for the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2!
All you get, despite having the Surface Pro 2 out for a while now, are only the Surface 1 and Surface Pro 1 devices.

I have contacted Microsoft Online Store Chat, and they said that Student offers of 10% off on the Surface 2 / Pro 2 and accessories are only for U.S students.

And if you wonder, yes you can buy full price the Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 on Microsoft Store.

This sucks. I hope this will change soon. But I am seriously annoyed by this, which makes me sad. :unhappy:

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft no love for students with Surface / Surface Pro 2, makes me sad.

Hopefully there will be some new offers available. Perhaps they will add something for the holidays.

superb921

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes, they do offer 10% discount in Canada but only for retail stores. Since Canadian university doesn't have .edu address, this is the only way for them to validate, I guess.
You do need to provide a valid student ID card.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

hey there

I don't how it is in Canada, but in Germany the "student offers" are somehow "hidden". So if you visit the German surface website and click on the "purchase"-button from one of the products, you get the normal product info-site where you can choose the surface version you want. If you (on that site) type in "student" in the searchbar the site opens this page:

Microsoft Store Germany Online Store - Suchergebnisse

(so if you are already on the purchase-store-page the search will show you all the student offers. including the Surface 2 for 386€)

here is the Surface 2 offer for students:
Surface 2 - Microsoft Store Germany Online Store

So the info that only us students get the offer is not quite legit...

squadz

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to say, but this isn't correct.

I'm in Canada, and we used the student discount on the SP2 Pro 128gb and a type cover 2. They send an e-mail to your school email address, which doesn't need to be a .edu e-mail. (in my case, it was ryerson.ca)

Call again.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes, they do offer 10% discount in Canada but only for retail stores. Since Canadian university doesn't have .edu address, this is the only way for them to validate, I guess.
You do need to provide a valid student ID card.
The closest Microsoft retail store is over 5h drive, if we assume no traffic. However, I am in 10min from an Apple Store, not to mention the "thousands" of affiliated Apple stores near by (none from Microsoft). Not even a booth, despite being in a area of near 2 million people. All I have is the university booth from a third party company that represents Microsoft. I already asked there, and they said they have no idea, and that they are not really from Microsoft. They are just here to present Windows 8. (they presented it on a Sony Vaio, not even on a Surface line product)

I'm in Canada, and we used the student discount on the SP2 Pro 128gb and a type cover 2. They send an e-mail to your school email address, which doesn't need to be a .edu e-mail. (in my case, it was ryerson.ca) Call again.
I have received no e-mail from Microsoft about this, or anything related. I tried to fill this form:
Microsoft Store
However, I need an .edu e-mail. I still tried with my school e-mail, but it failed, and was informed that this is for U.S only.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

hey there

I don't how it is in Canada, but in Germany the "student offers" are somehow "hidden". So if you visit the German surface website and click on the "purchase"-button from one of the products, you get the normal product info-site where you can choose the surface version you want. If you (on that site) type in "student" in the searchbar the site opens this page:

Microsoft Store Germany Online Store - Suchergebnisse

(so if you are already on the purchase-store-page the search will show you all the student offers. including the Surface 2 for 386€)

here is the Surface 2 offer for students:
Surface 2 - Microsoft Store Germany Online Store

So the info that only us students get the offer is not quite legit...
This is all I have :(
Shop Student deals | Microsoft Store Canada

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Your subject line isn't very accurate...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Being Canadian, i am also saddened to hear this news. Microsoft should be not only giving a discount, but advertising to students...maybe even starting campaigns for students to come up with AD/marketing ideas with prizes and such...students are a huge target market and shouldnt be overlooked.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree, one of the reason that I finally decided to wait for the surface 3, not because it might have better deals, just that I think I can still live with my WP8+Win8 PC+Android tablet mode for now

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Being Canadian, i am also saddened to hear this news. Microsoft should be not only giving a discount, but advertising to students...maybe even starting campaigns for students to come up with AD/marketing ideas with prizes and such...students are a huge target market and shouldnt be overlooked.

Did you miss the part about it not actually being true? Check a couple posts before yours....

squadz

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm in Canada, and we used the student discount on the SP2 Pro 128gb and a type cover 2. They send an e-mail to your school email address, which doesn't need to be a .edu e-mail. (in my case, it was ryerson.ca)

Call again.

Quoting because for some reason, it was missed.

In order to get the discount, you must call in and ask. They will send you a verification code to your school e-mail, you read it back and bam, 10% discount. This is confirmed, working.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
After 3 chat conversations, all tell me that they are no discounts on the Surface Pro 2 or Surface 2 for Canadian students. Only Surface 1 and Pro 1, and all link me to the same Student page which I posted above. I'll call this time, and push things when I have time (later today or tomorrow), but so far. No student deals on new generation Surface, for Canadians.

squadz

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
After 3 chat conversations, all tell me that they are no discounts on the Surface Pro 2 or Surface 2 for Canadian students. Only Surface 1 and Pro 1, and all link me to the same Student page which I posted above. I'll call this time, and push things when I have time (later today or tomorrow), but so far. No student deals on new generation Surface, for Canadians.

Microsoft store reps are inherently difficult and useless to deal with. They're like Rogers, each one is different and you need to keep calling until you get the one that knows something.

As I said, i've personally confirmed the discount is available, so its just a matter of getting the right person on the phone, or go in store to do it.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
or go in store to do it.
I'll spend more money on fuel than the 10% off I am getting...not to mention over 10h of my time (back and forth, not to mention the time to actually get to the store and talk to them) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mon...37999999999!2d43.724775?hl=en&dg=dbrw&newdg=1
Montreal is very Apple centric, so I don't think Microsoft is interested in opening a store there. Not to mention as it's part of Quebec, they'll be bombarded with red tape, high taxes, complex laws, oh and everything needs to be in French, else the language police (I kid you not) will fine them.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I contact Microsoft, and now we are getting somewhere...
I was told to e-mail: stuver@microsoft.com, With proof such as my Student ID card or schedule (I pick student ID)
I have done that, later got an e-mail to go on a site to get verified. I have done so....
And that is all....

Now I can purchase items on the Student deal sections.... which DOES NOT have Surface Pro 2 or Surface 2... let alone any new accessories. Just the old stuff! :angry:
Shop Students Save 10% on Surface | Microsoft Store Canada

This is what I was told when contacting Microsoft about the issue:
"In Canada, we've got 10% discounts on the original Surface and Surface Pro. Regrettably, that doesn't include the Surface 2".

So there we have it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs