Touch Cover 2 Gestures?

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a list of all of the gestures that the Touch Cover 2 can do? I haven't seen anything from Microsoft, nor did my cover have a manual saying what it can do. Thanks!

JohnnyCanuck

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A list of gestures would be really nice. I do have some of them down (really like the spacebar autocorrect feature), but a handy reference would be good.

What I have so far:

1. Autocorrect on spacebar - flick the spacebar left to right with your thumb to select word and then tap spacebard to insert.
  2. Two finger select and backspace using the number keys. I have had a problem getting this one to work consistently.
  3. Two finger scroll up/down/left/right in the trackpad.
  4. Swipe in from the left or right using the edge of the trackpad to bring up charms menu or programs list. I have also had a problem getting this one to work consistently,

As for the light ... don't have my Surface with me today, but isn't it the first two function keys that turn the brightness up or down?

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks JohnnyCanuck, just out of interest, weren't the trackpad gestures included in the original Touch Cover? For Touch Cover 2, I was hoping the edge gestures would work on the edge of the keyboard. Unless I'm missing something, I feel like MS need to release a firmware update with a few more gestures to take advantage of these new covers.

JohnnyCanuck

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
@foaf, I never really used gestures with the original touch cover because I was always bouncing to the screen anyway. With TC2 able to do so much more, gestures are more useful but I wouldn't know what's new or not.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
A dumb question:
are all of this awesome gestures only possible on the Touch (2) covers or also on the Type covers (2)? I am quite sure only the Touch Covers can give the needed technology, but wanted to be sure :)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
A list of gestures would be really nice. I do have some of them down (really like the spacebar autocorrect feature), but a handy reference would be good.

What I have so far:

1. Autocorrect on spacebar - flick the spacebar left to right with your thumb to select word and then tap spacebard to insert.
  2. Two finger select and backspace using the number keys. I have had a problem getting this one to work consistently.
  3. Two finger scroll up/down/left/right in the trackpad.
  4. Swipe in from the left or right using the edge of the trackpad to bring up charms menu or programs list. I have also had a problem getting this one to work consistently,

As for the light ... don't have my Surface with me today, but isn't it the first two function keys that turn the brightness up or down?

You missed the two-finger scrolling across the letters. Two fingers across the backspace/number row will select and delete, as you said. Two fingers across the letters will move the cursor position. If you hold shift, you can use this to select text, and if you hold control you can jump a word at a time.

I find that the two-fingered gestures for select and text are a little inconsistent as well (though they work best if you use really heavy pressure). However, I've had no issue with the trackpad charms bar gestures myself.

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember from the video the two finger scrolling, but I haven't been able ot et it working. Also have no idea why MS doesn't document anything this!

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You can delete the whole word holding down CTRL while sliding two fingers starting from Backspace going backwards then letting go CTRL.
Of course you can delete a whole section faster this way. Or just CTRL+A, X.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
do you guys know how to do that?

I can se the CAPS light on when I select it, but wish ai could turn on all the keyboard , all the time. How to do that?

From what I understand in talking with MS, you can't control the light. It's on, but quite dim in that it is only viewable when the room is dark enough.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand in talking with MS, you can't control the light. It's on, but quite dim in that it is only viewable when the room is dark enough.

Right next to escape key, F1 and F2. F1 dims and F2 brightens the keyboard backlight. There are 4 positions, from off to bright.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes