Most portable USB optical drive?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This has probably been discussed in the past. I'm looking for a portable USB bus-powered Blu-ray writer to use with the SP2... or a Blu-ray reader / DVD DL writer combo.

Something as small/light as possible, and that will run reliable off the SP2's USB bus power output...

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You could try stopping at manufacturers websites like Asus/HP/etc. I've seen some before that were thin. And you know you're buying from a trusted place.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks will do. I wonder if there's such a thing as (and any benefit to) a USB 3.0 optical drive vs USB 2.0, in terms of power output or real-world speed boost?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're asking if it exists? If so there are USB optical drives, (same websites) and there is a performance and bandwidth difference between 2.0/3.0. Might be noticeable while playing a game, or installing software. There is also differences in its rpm from 5400-10,000. So you have plenty of choices.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
It's just that from what I recall in the past, most "advanced" USB-powered burners had required a USB Y-cable to combine power from 2 ports. "Advanced" as in models with Blu-ray XL disc support, or those with fast read/write speeds (which tends to be prevalent in USB 3.0 models).

Since the SP2 only has one USB port, I guess I'm looking for the most capable burner that doesn't require a Y-cable?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know the SP2 USB 3.0 port's max power output? The old standard spec is supposed to just be 2.5W (5V @ 0.5A), although many computers over the years actually output more (some up to 5W ie. 1A, for example, or perhaps even more).

Just wondering if the SP2's USB power output is high enough to reliably run an "advanced" USB Blu-ray/DVD writer that would normally require a USB Y-cable...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2